Weird spot on dogs skin...

ayyyjayyy

Godzillerator
Reaction score
I recently noticed a spot on my hounds skin that is round and fleshy/open looking. I am worried about her but I won't have the money to take her to the vet till tomorrow or the next day. I was going to get some antibiotic ointment and put it on the spot (which is like half an inch maybe less in diameter) but I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions. I can't tell if it's some sort of weird puncture wound maybe from the springs under my bed where she hangs out sometimes or if was a spider bite. She's acting completely normal but of course I will still freak out. Any suggestions are appreciated, and no rude comments please she is going to the vet ASAP but I just wanted to see if there was anything I could do to sooth the wound/mark until then.

Thanks!

K

Kim Chee

I'm sure that since you'll be getting her to the vet in a day or two and are using antibiotics that you are already doing the best you can. Maybe if you can get her to the vet today the vet can bill you and you can pay later? That's the best I have to offer. That and keep her away from Mr. Disgustin.

ayyyjayyy

Godzillerator
Reaction score
I'm sure that since you'll be getting her to the vet in a day or two and are using antibiotics that you are already doing the best you can. Maybe if you can get her to the vet today the vet can bill you and you can pay later? That's the best I have to offer. That and keep her away from Mr. Disgustin.

Yeah I tried to see if the vets would bill me or do payment plans already of course. Not around here haha. But yeah I just really wanted to see what else anyone has done when small wounds appear on their dogs etc. thanks though :)

SereneFreedom

Reaction score
Hey, i'm a canine major from my high school where i've learned a lot about dogs and wounds from grooming and everything. It could be a hot spot, something that is itchy and she keeps licking it till it bleeds. Or it could be a bite.
My recommendation is to NOT use any medication or ointments until you are sure of what it is. You don't want to make it worse. If it doesn't seem to bother her then i would leave it until you see the vet.
You could even just call the vet and describe it to them and they may be able to help you without billing you. But of course they will probably want to see your dog before diagnosing it.
Hope i helped!

Reactions: ayyyjayyy

Nugrow Wilson

Reaction score
It might be from a tick that has finished feeding and let go of the skin, my dog had a similar sounding sore that was not really bothering him, I watched him for any signs of fatigue, lack of appitite, or not drinking h20, just look for abnormal behavior, if your dog is acting normal just give it some time and see if it starts to heal, I used an antibiotic cream and it started healing and about a week it was gone.. hope that info helps, from an avid dog lover..

Nugrow Wilson

Reaction score
And if it was a spider or snake bite it would really hurt ur pup eventually, u would notice swelling limping and overall a sick state of being its prolly just a small wound that will heal itself, dogs are damn tough just keep ur buddie under close watch and give em lots of love..

smellsea

Reaction score
sounds like a hot spot. shave around the infected area if she has long hair so it doesnt get caught, itch her and then take longer to heal. they sell this "sulfur" stuff at walwheezy. it comes in a small yellow bottle, it's the generic version of what they will most likely give you at the vet. if you're that worried just wait, if you're that strapped for cash try the sulfur. hot spots tend to get bad fast, scold her every time she bits/scratches at it.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
rubbing alcohol is my cure-all potion for anything external and icky.......

Reactions: Acorn

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
I think hotspot too. I use hemoroid ointment or witchhazel, hydrocortizone and antibiotic ointment. Which is basically the same thing.

ayyyjayyy

Godzillerator
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I'm going to check her out soon after being at work since like 4 tonight and see how she is doing. Thanks for all the helpfulness!! :) lots of good info on here!

P

Pheonix

A follow-up to this thread would be great. (what worked, what didn't and what the vet said) I will probably be dealing with this later on down the line since my dog's dad gets hotspots sometimes and his grandfather had such bad allergies that he eventually got put to sleep for it.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads