Van build | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Van build

lordnose

Reaction score
The seat/box that will contain the toilet (purely there as a just in case, never plan to use it)

qB9YCfB.jpg

And in its final location.

2UAAqPq.jpg

Shitters in.

UvElucE.jpg

Finally completed the floorplan.

uSWDltC.jpg

And started templating and measuring for cutting the worktop tomorrow.

Cheapo timberboard for the worktop

JL2bo8m.jpg

Hi-tech contouring tools.

pEH3Kkn.jpg

Good enough.

IMDsNsh.jpg

• Love It
Reactions: V4wandering

lordnose

Reaction score
It's an OK job. Would have been better with more tools and knowledge but I think it's fine.

RdH1UIR.jpg

Now for a few coats of Danish oil before cutting the stove and sink holes. (bonus vegetable garden)

u8IHjWa.jpg

The stove cutout made and a dry fit to see if it's good enough.

C67N5JV.jpg

• Love It
Reactions: destinyarrives

lordnose

Reaction score
Moved on to the gas fittings.

Cut the drop vent through the floor.

W2Vhrbg.jpg

Rigged up the gas locker.

m30oeUe.jpg

Made fire.

lDVo2oW.jpg

Checked it all with a gas detector and had to tighten a few fittings. Going to get it properly pressure tested also.

Then onto cupboard bottoms and wiring in the fridge.

Fridge is a Dometic 12v compressor model, pulls a few amps when it's running. It comes with a 12v cigarette plug, but I wanted it hidden away and it seemed to come lose constantly, so I cut the fucker off and hardwired it in.

XNXuUyd.jpg

48s6OER.jpg

Then on to the super awkward bottom panels. Nothing square, lots of cutouts.

yiJIMkb.jpg

Vv17RlG.jpg

Looks OK though.

Darren Scout

Reaction score
You have done a amazing job with your van. The dometic fridges are the greatest invention ever, make sure it has plenty of ventilation.
I tore out the interior of my van because I needed room to haul lumber and tools, plus a riding lawnmower. I miss have it ready for living in.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
what kind of van is this and how much did it cost?

lordnose

Reaction score
Yeah I don't think I've ever seen one in all the times I've been over there. In Europe they're one of the biggest van manufacturers, but unlike the Citroen I don't think it's rebadged and sold in the US at all.

lordnose

Reaction score
Added a high cupboard in the corner on the kitchen. Just simple 2x2 construction the same as everything else.

LEXgHBK.jpg

And started on cupboard doors from pallet boards.

6Gj71P1.jpg

Fit is pretty good.

CPeRr5D.jpg

Finished up the rest of the doors and fitted them.

v0IwwfF.jpg

HIGYyoe.jpg

One is a little warped but that's easy enough to fix, and the hinges could use a slight reposition, but they're pretty much done.

MatatuPuncher

Reaction score
Just read this entire thread in one sitting. My dog, what a great build. Well done and thanks for the effort of putting all this together. I hope there will be more to come.

lordnose

Reaction score
Better a week late than never...

Fitted tiling above the kitchen. Decided to use CT1 rather than tile adhesive cos the bulkhead flexes a little and I don't want them falling off.

geeYihX.jpg

Looks pretty good.

WRK0P1s.jpg

Got the bracing welded in for the spare finally.

aSlMfLw.jpg

Bit of cheapo rattle can.

p8uYn9O.jpg

Bolted the carrier back up and for reasons lost on me 2 of the bolts cross threaded half way down the bolt, so I had to cut two m10 stainless bolts out. Absolute pain in the arse.

srd8G7B.jpg

Then moved on to the floor - I bought some cheap self adhesive lvt online. I was quite apprehensive about laying it but it went down super easy in an hour or so.

yDeMX4L.jpg

ySNjFZ4.jpg

Fully stabbed myself in the finger with a brand new blade in Stan during the process, but fortunately most the blood went under where the floor now is, and the 2 or 3 splatters on other stuff should wipe off.

Headboard on the bed. I only have a shot from the back. I've not detailed the process but by this point we all know it's some PSE timber screwed to ply and painted with green emulsion.
zPvMvRb.jpg

Also got the panel on the bottom of the sliding door.
UTYsWQh.jpg

And the cushions + mattress arrived.
qGhlDRH.jpg

Excuse the mattress sticking up, I didn't want to shove it into the space until it had finished expanding. It'll only stick up a few cm above that top board when it's fully seated.
G1lqprQ.jpg

Mattress fully expanded and in place.

NkbjUlu.jpg

And lined the back doors with some recycled coffee sacks.

d5BqYlV.jpg

3VCCCgp.jpg

And to top it off we took the van out for a night finally for a shakedown run.

yQsyzvN.jpg

XlCRe9z.jpg

QfsF3B9.jpg

• Love It
Reactions: V4wandering

lordnose

Reaction score
Yeah pretty good actually. Main issue was that I need to sort out some kind of blind for the side window at night to keep it a bit stealthier, and a couple of super minor things like door catches not quite working. It's pretty much ready for serious long term travel at this point, but I think I'm probably stuck working until covid comes to an end sadly.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads