Upside down trains in Wuppertal | Squat the Planet

Upside down trains in Wuppertal

Svintah5635

Reaction score
For a little over a year it had been on my bucket list to ride the upside down trains in Wuppertal. It’s a train track built over the river (Wupper) and the trains hang.

27EFB8CF-87D9-4AE4-A8C9-7DD21431464B.jpeg

Yesterday I went 3,5 hours by train and was finally able to catch one of those. The indescribable feeling when I was there, cruising with the river beneath me.

75EB1673-96E9-4600-9439-A80899FDACED.jpeg

Over all I got to enjoy the city. Walked up to the historische stadthalle, which is on a hill and watched over the city until twilight. When I got back to hauptbahnhof, I had a little under an hour to kill, so I took the stairs on top of the station and looked at this view…

2EA4968A-3BFF-4306-91F2-BE51732A7C8C.jpeg

After a long day I met a Russian guy on the train who was super happy to hear that I also spoke Russian. He showed me his favourite Russian music and when he left he shook my hand “my friend до свидания»

Schnitzel

Reaction score
It always suprises me how amazed foreigners are about the ''Schwebebahn''. I live not that far away from it but for me it's completely normal, even though I have only ridden it once in my life :D
On the other hand, I'm really amazed of the dutch cycle infrastructure and can only dream about similiar circumstances in Germany.
But that's what I really enjoy about the dense populated area both of us live in. Just take a train or get into the car for not even a few hours and you will pop out at a complete different world.
Continue your little journeys, there's even much more to see ;)

Reactions: Svintah5635

Schnitzel

Reaction score
There are also two similiar but smaller systems in the region. The "Sky-Train" at the Düsseldorf Airport and the "H-Bahn" at the University of Dortmund. Both of them are used to connect all the different buildings with the rail-infrastructur. It's not that spectacular but if you are there maybe worth to check out.

Reactions: Svintah5635

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads