Ultralight Sleeping Bag Suggestion | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Ultralight Sleeping Bag Suggestion

trashswag86

Reaction score
... and for a pad its skateboard under hips (r value increasified though uncomfortable rolling over backpack under shoulders and I mit even leave the knee pads on.

Honestly I'd love a picture of this. Sounds so uncomfortable. Rightious if it works for you, though.
I saw a homebum once who used knee-pads to strap cut up blankets around his legs.

Bitch

Reaction score
Have tried the one a step down. (Gift we got for partners sister last summer) and while it felt more, rugged? I can honestly say seam sealing will not make it the same thing. They are two completely different materials. It had a lot less give for the cheaper one and I doubt it breathes as well. The one time I woke up encased in ice was from skating way too fast at a slight uphill chasing after my partner who skates way faster than I can kick when she feels like it. We were in Tucson in the winter at whatever that park just out of town is and it was 19 degrees when we left the Walmart and 50 or so during the day and we had not packed for bellow freezing (gear at camp) so we probably over exerted ourselves to stay warmer on the way back. Crawled in sweaty (not smart) and passed out. Had the sol pro bag with sympathy not performed that critical function of breathing when all that radiant humidity condensed inside our bags that sheet of ice would have been on us and the bag liners. Not sure how low it dipped to that night but that's about as close to dodging hypothermia as I want to get. Still woke up warm enough and will always use a tent if it's that cold from now on.

Edit: the cheaper bag felt cold on the Washington coast in the summer on a night when we had been using our pro bags all summer on the same coast and climate

Reactions: trashswag86

Maki40

Reaction score
I found a brand new Sierra designs 0 degree down bag that weighed 3 lbs on Craigslist for $60 once and it was super warm and lasted 3 years so definitely see what you can find there. But yeah, the mss bag is the generally best bang for the buck but certainly not ultralight. I've been experimenting myself with different options but I'm actually going to go the with the absolute cheapest and lightest route which is no bag whatsoever. Just gonna layer up with thrift store clothes and acclimate my body to cold conditions. Your body will literally grow a layer of brown fat and extra mitochondria in the cells to produce heat and energy. Probably takes a month or two. Plan to use campfires as well when possible.

trashswag86

Reaction score
Just gonna layer up with thrift store clothes and acclimate my body to cold conditions. Your body will literally grow a layer of brown fat and extra mitochondria in the cells to produce heat and energy.
Wim Hoff? Glad you brought up brown fat. Forgot about that. I've only heard of it in relation to cold weather hikes, where special breathing techniques we're also used. Have you come across anything that directly addressed sleeping conditions? I like the idea, but I wouldn't even think about it without at least some kind of wind barrier. You've probably already thought of that though.

Bitch

Reaction score
It's somehow completely different. Pro is stretchy and compresses significantly smaller (pack size) than the step down. Step down seems more likely to rip and is crunchy? Hard to explain but if you can pay it you won't be unhappy with the best. Since we skate rotational weight and pack shifting make a huge difference in avoiding slams. Weight savings keep the knees from doing pistol squats for 10-20 miles a day. Majority of slams are avoided by cutting weight and keeping the bag tight so it won't throw you. Pack can be worn while hitch hiking or sleeing on the bus or at night on the ground as its compressed down less than 8 in thick about a foot wide and under 20 inches long. I don't carry lumpy stuff, stoves, tanks metal shit etc. so it's all pretty squishy and doesn't kill our will to travel or hang up on stuff on trail hikes. Lots of brush and rotten logs on the west side. Less is less and that's a whole west coast of multi season comfort for smaller than a beer and half the weight of one. Absolute LAST ditch bag grab is this and sawyer filter stuffed into a knit hat with wool socks and a shirt. Can go for days on that if we had to.

• Useful
Reactions: trashswag86

Maki40

Reaction score
Wim Hoff? Glad you brought up brown fat. Forgot about that. I've only heard of it in relation to cold weather hikes, where special breathing techniques we're also used. Have you come across anything that directly addressed sleeping conditions? I like the idea, but I wouldn't even think about it without at least some kind of wind barrier. You've probably already thought of that though.

Cody Lundin has a chapter in his book, 98.6, degrees on it. It's not complicated. Just embrace the cold without being stupid and let your body adapt. We all know people who go out in the snow with shorts and a t-shirt. They do it so often their body adapts including adding brown fast and more heat producing mitochondria. It'll help when you hike or sleep. I'm not cold acclimated but plan to next winter. I just trashed my sleeping bag but I'm in Florida and wearing clothing layers including a wind breaker.

bazarov

Reaction score
Just an update:

I went with the US Military patrol bag (+4c) over the One Tigris (0c) ultralight. They weigh roughly the same at ~1000 grams but I was worried about the down filling and it getting wet. The patrol bag packs down very small and the temp rating as well as my bivy and base layer should make this good for April - November. Also the zips on the patrol bag are great quality.

Older Than Dirt

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
The zippers on the military bags are the best zippers on anything ever. They do not catch, they do not jam, ever.

They are designed so you can be all zipped up and mummied in, and just spread your arms wide and jump up shooting (you do sleep with your rifle, don't you?). Try it, it works.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads