ukelele! | Squat the Planet

ukelele!

H

hellomonday

i still gotta find one to learn how to play, but does anyone know how to play a ukelele? is it much different than a guitar?

Exile

Reaction score
No idea seem simple. Listened to a girl play folk punk once with one. Great little instrument..... :D

U

username77

it has four strings, usual made of nylon like classical guitars. g-c-e-a is the standard tuning. a guitar is e-a-d-g-b-e. a good way to look at it is that the guitar is tuned to fourths. so is the uke, but in a different key. g to c is a fourth, c to e is a third, just like the g to b on guitar, and then another fourth from e to a. start by experimenting with similar cord forms as guitar, and adjust as you see fit. if you know how cords are constructed, you could just break it down note by note. for instance, a c major triad would be the 1-3-5 of the major scale, or c-e-g, played at the same time, so just look for those notes on the uke fretboard. these three notes are already there in the standard tuning, plus it has the sixth, a, the relative minor. you could explore alternate tunings so much on a uke.
pretty much, once you see scales as whole, or two fret, and half, or one fret, step patterns, you can play just about any instrument to some degree. just learn the key signatures and try to think of the guitar or any stringed instrument as sections of a keyboard cut up and stacked ontop of each other at certain intervals. eventually, you can look at the fretboard and have a mental map of different keys. hope this helped some. good luck.

bikegeek666

Reaction score
^^yeah, if you can learn to think of the notes and positions on the fretboard, and how to construct chords, you can pick up pretty much any stringed instrument and make nice noises fairly simply.

Meg

Reaction score
Website
freighttrains.tumblr.com
I've been playing ukulele for about a month or so now. I also play piano and guitar. I'd say the ukulele was easier for me to play because it is smaller and its easier to self teach if you have a computer.

saintharry

Reaction score
C G AM F is a chord pattern that can play almost any song. This was the first song I learned how to play and helped teach me the basics. For strum patterns you just have to play around with it or practice till you figure it out.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads