UK Hitch/hop | Squat the Planet

UK Hitch/hop

benjo420

Reaction score
Any people from the uK fancy a cheap as feck hitching/ hopping trave beginning in England, maybe the north? then heading out into europe. I I've got a fair amount of experience hitching in this country and I think freight hopping is also posible over here and I've got some idea how depending where we set off from, I'm fucking skint so everything would need to be crusty style all the way.
Hit me up :) I want company for this 1.

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Ash Ludd

Reaction score
I'd be very careful trying to hop a train in the UK... the tracks are electrified and trains are a lot faster than in the states... also there is no history of train hopping so if you're caught on the tracks (which is probably pretty likely considering the amount of CCTV in this country) people are going to wonder what the fuck you're up to and probably suspect you of being a terrorist or something. Unless you're a complete adrenaline junky I'd say hopping in the UK isn't very practical. You might as well just hitch.

benjo420

Reaction score
Cool plateau I'll message u tomo :) .
Hopping in the UK is obviously less practical than hitching and much less practical than hopping in the us.
But getting a megabus a-b for a fiver is probly more practical still but its not as fun..
Mist freight and rail transport in the UK is deasil? Are you Americans who haven't been here long and think its same as mainland Europe? Never seen any electric freight apart from intermodals. Mainlines are electrified most others not, a lot of the traffic on electrified lines is still deasil.
You can get away with loads on British tracks see graffiti for proof. Passenger yards are full of CCTV cos of graffiti, but some freight yards don't even have a proper fence.
Some cars are rideable.
To avoid being seen ride @ night when most services run.
If someone sees u probably more likely to get caught cos of btp and penalties are likely to be more severe.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads