Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Rolling, empty boxcars to Sioux Falls, South Dakot
Website
www.youtube.com
Hello.
This question's for "Matt" or "Widerstand" or "IBRRHOBO"..........
I bought and installed "System Mechanic" on my PC. (I'm about to start a defraggler on my "Drive C"). System Mechanic stated this may take as long as two full days to complete. Question is:
Why would it take this long as compared to the defraggler I normally use which only takes 20 to 30 minutes at most? And: What benifits will I have from running a full defragmentation this long?
I just never knew why it would take this long and also what things are left out when you run one of the faster ones vs. this long one?

Thanks a million!
PS.....Also, if anyone else reads this thread and may also know why, please feel free to let me know anything I may not be aware of by running this 48 hour long defraggler.

~"Shoestring"~~~

loess

Reaction score
Hiya Shoestring,

I'm not familiar with System Mechanic, but two days seems like a long time. If you're simply looking to simply defrag your computer, I'd recommend instead having a look at MyDefrag (it used to be called "JKDefrag"). It's a free, bare-bones defragmenter that most people find to be more effective AND less time-consuming than the built-in Windows defrag software, and most other defrag software.

System Mechanic probably has some other useful utilities that deal with things like registry cleanup and spyware so don't feel like you totally wasted your money on it. I'd try defragging your computer with MyDefrag and after that see if System Mechanic wants to do anything else to clean stuff up.

hope that helps!

flashinglights

Reaction score
Be careful with registry cleaners, as they can destabilize your system very easily. Only use them if you know they are necessary.

Defragmenting is always good...but:

2 days seems like a really long time *unless* your computer is very old, in which case I could see that being a reasonable estimate.

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Rolling, empty boxcars to Sioux Falls, South Dakot
Website
www.youtube.com
Yep. I went ahead and did it and it actually took 44 hours to complete!
I do have an older system; 2002 make/model.
I'd have to say, it's really zipping around the web a bit faster now that it's done!
(Perhaps something like this only needs to be done once a year or even once every other year)???
Thanks to both of you!

~"Shoestring"~~~

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
glad to hear it worked out. yeah, if it's an older computer, and the computer has a ton of files, and it's never been defragged, it's possible it could take that long. the standard defragger that comes with windows sucks and doesn't do much, which is why it's so quick.

you are correct in that defragging your system is something you should really only do once every six months to a year. any more often and it's not really going to do you any good (think of it as changing the oil in your car everyday instead of only when it's time/necessary).

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads