Traveling with important papers/cash

Chongo

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience travelling with important stuff (birth certificate, social security card, cash, ect)?

I'm leaving home to hop freights in the US for a few years and find a new place to live.
If I don't end up dead, (and I sure as shit hope I don't) I'd like to have what I need to start a new life. The really important things I'm taking is my birth certificate (not the original), my social security card and all the cash I have saved up.

My thoughts were to buy a short painting storage tube (They're cheap, waterproof, and pretty strong) for my birth certificate and some cash, and keep my social security card and some more cash wrapped in a plastic bag inside an improvised money belt.
I figured I'd keep both inside my bivouac while I'm asleep to hopefully keep them from getting stolen.

I'd really appreciate your input!

K

Kim Chee

Since these documents are so difficult to replace, you might consider taking copies and leaving the originals with somebody you can trust.

D

Deleted member 125

i wouldnt be comfortable taking the original copies of that stuff on a few year trip...freight or not. yer asking for alot of trouble when you settle back down, its hard to prove you are you are when you dont have any paper saying you are who you are.

vonspook187

Reaction score
I agree with the comments above leave them with someone you can trust and when you find a place you want to settle at have them mail the documents over. A shelter will let you use their address

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
I have scanned all my important stuff and emailed that to myself, so i can print off a set if I need to show someone. I also emailed a set to my brother as he is always at his computer and could if need be email it to someone on my behalf. I have then left the originals of everything with a very trusted friend who would/could send anything i needed to me recorded delivery if I desperately needed it. The only original thing i carry with me is my driving licence card. For me its cheaper to replace than a passport and easier to replace than a birth cert. I haven't in recent years actually needed original documents for anything, but then i try and stay under the radar a bit and avoid things that need ID and signatures.

With regards to carrying amounts of cash. I rubber tramp and have a safe drilled into my van bodywork that I can stash some cash in, but when I have been without van then I used a money belt, However, other than when I travelled to Mexico, I rarely have large sums of cash around. Its just asking for trouble. You could get someone to hold on to it for you and Western Union that shit to you as and when you need it? just an idea.

• Useful
Reactions: Odin

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
if you need to get a birth certificate replaced eventually, vitalchek.com is by far the easiest place to do so. you just answer a few questions (including your ssn, your mom and dad's ssn's) and they'll send you a new, notarized, copy of your birth certificate for you for around $20 bucks. i've done it twice now and it's totally legit.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads