Traveling with accordion

Sapphire

Reaction score
im traveling with a huge 120 bass accordion. It’s really nice and was gifted to me so I really don’t wanna downsize :( I was pulling it behind me on a suitcase with wheels but after a while the wheels fell off and so did the handle.
Wondering if anyone here manages to do it, and how so? My accordions keeping me sane!

D

Deleted member 20683

i have a heavy accordion that i have hauled around town in a bike cart, but otherwise i really wouldn't be able to take it anywhere except rubber tramp style. speaking as someone with back issues but a lot of that comes from carrying around too much in the first place. maybe an accordion backpack + travel light? i once almost dropped and smashed it hopping a fence drunk with just the accordion on my back (fortunately someone caught it + later i quit drinking)...heavy/expensive/fragile is just a terrible combo for road gear? trying finding another one you could carry in front w/o a case - i have a wonky/playable beater that is a bit lighter & was $20 off CL, or even like those plastic mexican-style kids' ones you can get for around the same. oh & if rubber tramping with a real accordion, remember theres usually beeswax on the reeds so don't leave it in a hot car or it could melt + be ruined

Dameon

Reaction score
A friend of mine always just traveled with his without a case, wearing it on front and carrying a pack on his back, but he honestly went through accordions like candy during that time. If you've got a nice one, keep in mind that you'll eventually sacrifice it to the road. Carrying an expensive instrument around traveling is almost certain doom for the instrument; I've seen so many instruments die in so many ways on the road.

D

Deleted member 14481

I echo @oak moth with the means of carrying. I would think someone backpacking wouldn't carry something as heavy as that. Have you considered rubber tramping, or at least bike touring?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads