Traveling with accordion (1 Viewer)

Sapphire

Lurker
Current Location
On the road
im traveling with a huge 120 bass accordion. It’s really nice and was gifted to me so I really don’t wanna downsize :( I was pulling it behind me on a suitcase with wheels but after a while the wheels fell off and so did the handle.
Wondering if anyone here manages to do it, and how so? My accordions keeping me sane!

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!
D

Deleted member 20683

I deleted myself
i have a heavy accordion that i have hauled around town in a bike cart, but otherwise i really wouldn't be able to take it anywhere except rubber tramp style. speaking as someone with back issues but a lot of that comes from carrying around too much in the first place. maybe an accordion backpack + travel light? i once almost dropped and smashed it hopping a fence drunk with just the accordion on my back (fortunately someone caught it + later i quit drinking)...heavy/expensive/fragile is just a terrible combo for road gear? trying finding another one you could carry in front w/o a case - i have a wonky/playable beater that is a bit lighter & was $20 off CL, or even like those plastic mexican-style kids' ones you can get for around the same. oh & if rubber tramping with a real accordion, remember theres usually beeswax on the reeds so don't leave it in a hot car or it could melt + be ruined

Dameon

Wanderer
Current Location
Northern California
A friend of mine always just traveled with his without a case, wearing it on front and carrying a pack on his back, but he honestly went through accordions like candy during that time. If you've got a nice one, keep in mind that you'll eventually sacrifice it to the road. Carrying an expensive instrument around traveling is almost certain doom for the instrument; I've seen so many instruments die in so many ways on the road.

Juan Derlust

Resident itinerant paradoxymoron
StP Supporter
Current Location
in medias res
Firstly, hats off to you for sheer tenacity... Now, what are the dimensions (approx.) and the weight? What about one of those 2-wheel collapsible steel wire grocery dollies my grandma used to hike around with? Regardless, Dameon's post is totally valid. I take it you're not performing chamber ensemble-type gigs; time & the elements will eventually reclaim your instrument

OP
Sapphire

Sapphire

Lurker
Current Location
On the road
I have a huge accordion. I’m gonna leave it with someone and find a small one I can just fit in my pack. And just like never own any clothes again I guess

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$55.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $55.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $55.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $55.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Turns out, @Rhubarb Dwyer is even more handsome in person.
Watch out Australia! Tay is flying in on the 24th!
It only took three cities over three different time zones, but I finally got to meet up with @IVth. And, lemme tell ya, it was worth every mile. What a mensch!
dumpsternavel wrote on Erinn Oface's profile.
I wanna see more of your arrrrttttttt
I made it to dayton with time to spare, i went belen/kc(for supplies)/chicago(i got robbed)/indy/dayton. Besides getting robbed in chicago the trip has been great, quick trains good kickdowns and a nice 2 ride hitchhike to dayton.
io2286 wrote on coolusername123's profile.
Hobosexual- someone who has a relationship to get a place to stay
Happy friday the 13th!
Hmu or send something my way
Cheers!
It takes forever to do profiles via smartphone.. I'll fill this out on a laptop later.. me and my wife, Straps, recently moved from NC to central Ohio and are looking for like minded folks. Oldschool punk and metal etc is our tastes but not limited to. She does Vocals as well as I.. I also play bass. And am currently working on a demo. Think serial killer true crime punk.. not 'horror punk'.. true horror, yes.
*will update tonight
wheels are made for rollin/mules are made to pack/I never seen a sight that didnt look better lookin back

Members online

No members online now.