• Hey folks, we've recently updated the forum software and are in the middle of getting everything back in place. I hope to have everything back online soon!

Traveling with accordion

Current Location
On the road
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
im traveling with a huge 120 bass accordion. It’s really nice and was gifted to me so I really don’t wanna downsize :( I was pulling it behind me on a suitcase with wheels but after a while the wheels fell off and so did the handle.
Wondering if anyone here manages to do it, and how so? My accordions keeping me sane!

Current Location
western mass
Reactions
96% 0% 4%
i have a heavy accordion that i have hauled around town in a bike cart, but otherwise i really wouldn't be able to take it anywhere except rubber tramp style. speaking as someone with back issues but a lot of that comes from carrying around too much in the first place. maybe an accordion backpack + travel light? i once almost dropped and smashed it hopping a fence drunk with just the accordion on my back (fortunately someone caught it + later i quit drinking)...heavy/expensive/fragile is just a terrible combo for road gear? trying finding another one you could carry in front w/o a case - i have a wonky/playable beater that is a bit lighter & was $20 off CL, or even like those plastic mexican-style kids' ones you can get for around the same. oh & if rubber tramping with a real accordion, remember theres usually beeswax on the reeds so don't leave it in a hot car or it could melt + be ruined

Dameon

Vagabond
Current Location
SF Bay
Reactions
96% 0% 4%
A friend of mine always just traveled with his without a case, wearing it on front and carrying a pack on his back, but he honestly went through accordions like candy during that time. If you've got a nice one, keep in mind that you'll eventually sacrifice it to the road. Carrying an expensive instrument around traveling is almost certain doom for the instrument; I've seen so many instruments die in so many ways on the road.

palmazon

oldest professional
StP Supporter
Current Location
La Habra, CA
Reactions
97% 0% 2%
Firstly, hats off to you for sheer tenacity... Now, what are the dimensions (approx.) and the weight? What about one of those 2-wheel collapsible steel wire grocery dollies my grandma used to hike around with? Regardless, Dameon's post is totally valid. I take it you're not performing chamber ensemble-type gigs; time & the elements will eventually reclaim your instrument

OP
OP
Sapphire
Current Location
On the road
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
I have a huge accordion. I’m gonna leave it with someone and find a small one I can just fit in my pack. And just like never own any clothes again I guess

Donate to StP!

Hey folks, the donation widget is temporarily broken, so if you'd like to donate to help keep StP going with the paypal link below, I would sure appreciate it! There's a lot of new features I'm looking forward to bringing to the site (but unfortunately they cost money).

https://www.paypal.me/MatthewDerrick

Latest Status Updates

Who is in Olympia? Bored af.
pretty much spent the day filling out job applications and sobbing because no one will hire me and i've been at a literal stall in my life for the past 3-4 years.
who are you?? Gene Autry, or something???
You either color inside the lines or you don't...or you're like me and make your own damn picture!