Traveling with a girlfriend and baby...Tips?

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
Micher..

i should be on the road soon.. the absolute departure is murky.. could be next week, could be the end of october..

in any case, keep us posted..

i'm definitely a resource if we're within driving distance.. if i don't head south to the StP jamboree, i'm heading west to hunt for a boat & possibly work.. that being said, if we're within 200 miles or so, you have a hand, if needed..

if you're coming through ND on US 2 anytime very soon, let me know.

hope yer doing well.. if you need advice on finding some decent work, & you're willing to settle enough to commit to an employer long enough to really learn something, there's one or two good things that can still be had, without a degree..

anyways.. good luck..

C

LaShea

Reaction score
I'm single and childless but I met people on the road with kids. Some made it and some didn't. This is what I learned from their stories. How you present yourself while traveling makes a big difference. Make it appear you are moving or on vacation. Keep the vehicle clean. Look it over daily for problems so they don't have a reason to pull you over.

I never asked for money while traveling. Yet I had people help me, without asking, when I needed it. Once I ran out of gas because the gauge broke. Grabbed my dog and gas can and started walking. By the time I got back on the road, I had over $150 extra, dog food and supplies and a free tank of gas. Plus the gauge was fixed. People are more willing to help someone if they think they're not being taken advantage of.

Truck drivers usually don't judge and can be very helpful. Visit the truck stops and strike up a conversation. If they can't help they'll find someone to help. Some truck stops have churches that assist travelers. Having a CB is helpful too. They'll warn you if cops are around or about any traps.

If you do have a run in with them, have an address they can validate. Don't have anything in the vehicle that could be dangerous. Even a propane heater can cause problems for people traveling with pets.

Do try to save up before you leave. Look into social service organizations. If you explain you're moving across country, they usually can assist with food and gas cards. Just try to get there asap. Best of luck!

PS. I'll be traveling next month. If I'm nearby, I'll try and help. Just message me.

Durp

Reaction score
Ive driven back and forth and back and forth and back and forth ect across this land. It really is not that hard to save up gas money before you leave. Please dont spange and jug if you are traveling with the baby, and wash your vehicle when it looks dirty. Cops love pulling over dirty rigs for some reason.

Reactions: LaShea
V

Vada

Oh my. I have four kids.. live in an RV with my husband and our children. We travel all the time. I have been for years now and never had charges or DHS on my tail. For real though if you don't know then damn shut it. I know plenty of hippy/traveling folks who jug/throw a sign ..the whole bit with families including children. Just be smart. Take turns with the spouse. Don't be in plain sight with the kiddos. Enjoy yourself!!!! Have FUN. And dude Colorado born ...it's not the desert. Super chill. Stay away from the pork patrol and don't mingle with unsavory people. Your a family! You can do this. Don't let people hold you back. No way I'm going back to paying some sleeze bag landlord ever. Blessings and be encouraged!

shwillyhaaa

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
fix the ac... ask a family member for help. babies make people want to help you so... get where you need to go. i wouldnt stop anywhere if i were you. youll have to wait 18 years like the rest of us condom and birth control haters ;]

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads