Traveling Bike Caravan? | Squat the Planet

Traveling Bike Caravan?

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
At the end of this month I'll be heading west and I'm seriously considering bike travel. The main driving force here is because its something I haven't done yet, ha. Was curious if anyone would be interesting in joining me in this endeavor. I'll be heading out from Chicago, totally willing to detour to pick up anyone along the way. As of yet I don't have a route planned, just figure head west and see what happens.

Any advice would be appreciated along with any suggestions on where to visit and what to do. As of right now this is just an idea, feel free to offer suggestions on how to make it better.

ByronMc

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
What type of bike,and gear are you taking ?

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Oh man, I want to go on tour real bad! But I'm not crazy about the roadbike anymore (nothing wrong with it, just want a bigger bike) and I need to change out some equipment - but more importantly, the people I usually travel with have been heading to more and more expensive places - and instead motel it throughout the trip. Not what I wanted. :oops:

Have fun!!

B

Benny

I have been kicking this idea around for awhile. I would love to build a long john bike and tour it.

Attachments

• Urania_Long_John_10.jpg
    Urania_Long_John_10.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 332

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I have been kicking this idea around for awhile. I would love to build a long john bike and tour it.

I think the lack of gears would be a super pain in the ass...

B

Benny

Yes, on steep hills it would suck but you could easily put gears on it. I built this single speed long tail cargo bike awhile back and it rode really well all loaded down. It took awhile to get into shape to ride it long distances but it was doable.

ByronMc

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I have three friends who have Bullitt cargo bikes,for delivery,here in Rva. Very cool bikes,geared,disc brakes & turns our,very strong ! One guy got hit by a car,on Friday & the bumper mark is there,but the frame is fine !

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Oh man, I want to go on tour real bad! But I'm not crazy about the roadbike anymore (nothing wrong with it, just want a bigger bike) and I need to change out some equipment - but more importantly, the people I usually travel with have been heading to more and more expensive places - and instead motel it throughout the trip. Not what I wanted. :oops:

Have fun!!

I'm thinking about doing a cross country bike tour exploring abandoned places and natural wonders for the StP blog. Probably wouldn't be until this winter or spring of next year, but I'm looking for other folks that would be interested in joining me.

Reactions: ByronMc

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads