travel companion for south east asia next spring

Viera

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm finishing a volunteer placement in Indonesia in March, and would like to travel around south east Asia for a couple of months. I'd rather travel with somebody than alone. I'd also like to travel as nomadically as possible (hitchhiking, couchsurfing, etc.) but am flexible. I have some travel experience (hitchhiking across Canada, west coast of Mexico, and Europe), I know English, French, can communicate in most Slavic languages, beginner Spanish, and hope to speak some beginner Indonesian and Malaysian by the time March rolls around. So let me know if anyone is interested!

Viera :)

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm finishing a volunteer placement in Indonesia in March, and would like to travel around south east Asia for a couple of months. I'd rather travel with somebody than alone. I'd also like to travel as nomadically as possible (hitchhiking, couchsurfing, etc.) but am flexible. I have some travel experience (hitchhiking across Canada, west coast of Mexico, and Europe), I know English, French, can communicate in most Slavic languages, beginner Spanish, and hope to speak some beginner Indonesian and Malaysian by the time March rolls around. So let me know if anyone is interested!

Viera :)

Nice. I think I'm on the same wavelength as you. I'm definitely a fan of hitch-hiking and couchsurfing (although I feel bad showing up and telling my host that I have a very low budget and just want to do some free things). Meh. But yes, hitchhiking in SE Asia can be great (Thailand is the one I attest to!). People tend to be fairly friendly if you manage to get away from tourist traps. Are you Canadian? (because of the English-French). My French is terrible, but I speak substantial Pilipino and Low German and am working on Spanish. Languages, in my opinion, puts a point to being in another country: to experience people as they are, engaging in their lives: not just as people wanting to sell you a fake watch at a beach, drive you the long-way around in their unmetered taxis, and not JUST there to watch people like they're part of a museum and then leave.

Ah, I miss SE Asia. I'd love to join you, but am currently doing some learning. Best of luck!

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
i might try and head that way when spring rolls round... i wanted to see new zealand first but it's almost 1/2 the price to get to thailand (which is further away) so i don't understand that one...and hitch/bus from there

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
So where are you gonna fly from? Thailand is one of the more cost efficient places to land, but also to fly from. Perhaps Singapore would be good (but a pricey place to travel to).

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
nvmind...it looks like its gonna be the carribbean fer me :) found work on a yacht there

vko

Reaction score
Hey Viera,

I'm going to be in SE Asia this spring, from March onwards. I'm also on a crazy budget, looking to couchsurf and hitchike my way around.
I'm going to be on a volunteer placement though, for a month in Cambodia at some point.
But if you're looking for a travel buddy, let me know.
I'm Canadian as well, I speak English, Korean, and some French and Italian.

Vanessa

Critical Rupture

Reaction score
rememberusername said:
What an accomplishment.. Thats interesting..

Wish I could fathom being in any other country than North America

Sorry to be pedantic, but "North America" ain't a country. But also, the US borders two countries, should try crossing those boundaries sometime, especially Mexico. Probably don't even need a passport.

The US is aight, but getting out of the culture, even physically, would be good for you.

And what's all this volunteer work everyone is doing? What is it exactly? For who?

makan kotoran

Reaction score
If anybody's still interested, or in the area, i'm up for meeting up...
I'm in indonesia at the moment, can speak Bahasa Indoneasia and traveled the area for the last six months. sorta know whats going on, anybody else interested in my current trip? leaving bandung in about a week, (gotta get to java fisrt, currently waiting at (cargo port in batam), which for some reason has wireless..) with a mate, plan outline..
hopping freight through java untill Surabaya, from there riding cargo boats up to sulewesi, meeting some friends there whom I owe cap tikus, then continue cargoing to kalimantan.
pm me yo

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads