Trans* travelers

L

LilKitKat

Does anyone have any good advice on traveling in the states as a gender variant person?

I haven't done a lot of traveling since I started transitioning and now that I'm getting to the end of this whole process, I'm starting to feel that wanderlust bug again. I usually don't travel solo, but any advice would be great

Christian XVX

Reaction score
Find more kids. I was just in Tucson like idk a month ago and the place was infested with *trans/queer travelers passing through on their ways to countercount or radherb. When both events were over we had this big pack going, anytime some drunk frat boy would start shit every one would be there for back up. Not much advice, sorry.

meathook

Reaction score
first off, congrats on nearing the end of your transition!

i identify as genderqueer but with my long dreads i easily pass as female pretty much all the time. i have a friend that is DFAB who doesn't seem to have many problems either, but my DMAB but non-binary friend seems to encounter more bigotry. i would think that DMAB people probably run into the most dangerous/scary situations. i don't know how you identify or anything but i would recommend traveling in groups if you feel uncomfortable. or keeping some sort of protection on you while hitching. luckily i have met very few travelers that aren't open minded about gender and sexuality, so i don't think you have to worry about finding friends. when i do meet travelers that are queer/trans*-phobic, they're usually crusty, schwilly-as-fuck old-timers. unfortunately i do meet a lot of travelers that are serious racists, i don't know if that's a concern to you either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt Derrick
T

Tick Dickler

are people more homophobic in the states? i feel like people in mid europe are pretty chill with it. ive often told rides im gay just to see how they would react. never got any trouble from any one. if anyone ever reacts negatively to your sexuality or race then get the fuck out of their ride.

Hylyx

Reaction score

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
yay! good to see everyone is finding the people they're looking for!

i am just a cis white male, but the first thing i thought when i read your post was that maybe you could visit events like ida where lots of queer folk hang out and find cool people to travel with that way?

Find more kids. I was just in Tucson like idk a month ago and the place was infested with *trans/queer travelers passing through on their ways to countercount or radherb. When both events were over we had this big pack going, anytime some drunk frat boy would start shit every one would be there for back up. Not much advice, sorry.

what's countercount and radherb?

L

LilKitKat

yay! good to see everyone is finding the people they're looking for!

i am just a cis white male, but the first thing i thought when i read your post was that maybe you could visit events like ida where lots of queer folk hang out and find cool people to travel with that way?

what's countercount and radherb?

What is ida?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

urchin

Reaction score
I can say based on personal experience if you are a person of color you will likely find more animosity in different ways from other travelers than rides. Everything from a command to a dog referring to black people on up. In those cases don't let them say it. Speak up at least and if you can or must, fight over it. Then again I'm pretty militant about race issues.

Overall however you should be okay. I'm a cis straight man so I don't know a great deal as far as gender and sexual orientation.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads