To whom it may concern: Farm Work.

GutterGrayse

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I have recently discovered an organization called Take Our Jobs. It is in retaliation to all of the people who complain that illegal immigrants are sucking up jobs in our economy. The point of the organization is basically a challenge to Americans: You want to do the hard labor they're willing to do? Prove it! So, I figured I'd share their site with you guys, as travelers are some of the most capable workers I know. Plus, a lot of the jobs hook you up with are seasonal, which is always a good hoboin' option. I filled out their form and got an email from them a few days later with a link to a site with lots of farmwork options. I'm thinking about doing apple picking, or fruit sorting, or some other sort of fruit farm work, as I'm in WA and those are most of the options here.
But I also might do something more suited for the timeframe I'm staying here, such as WCC in Americorps. Good, hard, hippieshit work. :)

The organization's site is;
TAKEOURJOBS.ORG

Best of luck to all of you. Cheers!

Reactions: Psi em

GutterGrayse

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Uncivil: notta problem.

Readyg: By technicality, I wouldn't want to attract people who aren't willing to do labor to this thread in the first place.
But I don't think I needed to explain that to you, persay, as you were probably being funny. :)
I'm glad I did. Good information, they've got.

P

Pheonix

how good do they pay? most farmers make shit money and can't pay their farm hands that well most times not even minimum wage. I have a pecan farm and I get 60-90 cents a lb. while they turn around and sell those same pecans in the store for $2.99- $3.99 a lb.

GutterGrayse

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
how good do they pay? most farmers make shit money and can't pay their farm hands that well most times not even minimum wage. I have a pecan farm and I get 60-90 cents a lb. while they turn around and sell those same pecans in the store for $2.99- $3.99 a lb.

For apple picking in Yakima, WA, they're paying 10.85+ and hour. 45 hour workweeks, so you get 5 hours overtime a week as well.
They reimburst your housing and transporation costs, as well.

P

Pheonix

For apple picking in Yakima, WA, they're paying 10.85+ and hour. 45 hour workweeks, so you get 5 hours overtime a week as well.
They reimburst your housing and transporation costs, as well.

sounds like your going to be working for a corporate farm. I'm all for taking jobs from illegals but I don't like the corporate farms that are strong-arming me and all the other small farmers

GutterGrayse

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
sounds like your going to be working for a corporate farm. I'm all for taking jobs from illegals but I don't like the corporate farms that are strong-arming me and all the other small farmers

Actually, believe it or not, it's a network of small farms working together in the hiring system.

BanMatt

Reaction score
Thank you so much for posting this. I'm all for this and hopefully something will work out for me.

AmandaLynn

Reaction score
thanks for posting! Seems like it might be kind of hard to find seasonal work through here? Do they send you info for farms outside of your area or just info for the farms close to the address that you give them?

anyways

Reaction score
Good information actually, although what I really want to try and get into is "woofing" ...hopping from organic farm to organic farm and shit. Learning out to do that stuff.

GutterGrayse

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
thanks for posting! Seems like it might be kind of hard to find seasonal work through here? Do they send you info for farms outside of your area or just info for the farms close to the address that you give them?

They'll send you sites that offer work all over the United States, it's just a matter of keywords, really.

GutterGrayse

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Good information actually, although what I really want to try and get into is "woofing" ...hopping from organic farm to organic farm and shit. Learning out to do that stuff.

Woofing is excellent work, I've mostly heard good things about it. I just don't have much on my resume, so I did this to find quick work to have reference for, so I can more easily get into the farmwork I'd like. Gotta work my way up the ladder, ya know. :)
Hope you get what you're looking for. ^_^

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads