Tips on Gasjugging? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Tips on Gasjugging?

WeekendWarrior88

Reaction score
I had more luck gas jugging than sign flying in Florida, cardboard sign is a bullseye, but a hardworking joe could carry a gas jug without getting hassled.

Here's my methods for gas jugging

-I prefer honesty, if they don't like it, that's okay. I say "excuse me" to get their attention, they look "Can you spare some gas?" there's a few different popular responses that you'll get used to answering in your own way. I deal with anxiety too, and I can't stand lying to people that I'm asking for charity from, I lied when I first learned it, but it never actually increased my odds of getting gas (and it's rude).
-I park out of view of the workers. If it's busy, you're less likely to get kicked out, if it's not busy, you're more likely to get kicked out, although sometimes workers won't know what you're doing if they're in an area where it doesn't happen often.
-If I don't have a gas jug, I make one out of a gallon water bottle (dump water, rinse with a little gas and shake around, if you get a couple drops of water in your vehicle, it's not bad), however using a non-gasjug as a gasjug is usually illegal. I prefer using a 5 gallon jug, but can make due with a 2 gallon. One gallon means you have to pour the gas into your car after every fillup, 5 gallon means you can get 2 or 3 fillups before you pour, unless they fill you up.
-I ask when they have the pump in their hand. After they pull up, either they will walk in and pay, or pay at the pump (unless it's new pumps with a pay station), then they grab the pump handle, that's the perfect opportunity, just as they're about to do this. I say this because, if you wait for them to finish fueling, they'll have to start a second transaction which is more likely to get the attendants attention, and they're more likely to say no, or just give you a couple dollars.

I haven't done it for a long time, but I was good at it enough to get from California to Florida. When you need oil is when flying a sign is easier. I even flew a sign for a tire when I got a flat, which took a while. But for gas, it's way quicker to gas jug.

Oh, as for dangers, don't light yourself on fire, it's tough, but worth it.

Reactions: shellshell

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads