Tips for long distance kayaking | Squat the Planet

Tips for long distance kayaking

pallaway

Reaction score
So I'm back in Memphis. It's hot everyday and perfect time of year to jump in this. Anyways. I've always loved being on the water, I could go on forever. Haven't done it too much though .The longest trip I ever took was a three day trip which started when I bought my kayak. I dragged it through a field behind the store and rode it towards my mom's house which was connected to the waterways behind the store. I stoped there and grabbed supplies and continued my trip. Riding trains following rivers and creeks only made this passion worse. I'm wanting to take a break in some nature and get away. Drop my boat in the water from my hometown and see where it takes me.
I'm wanting to.go to Louisiana or either just ride south with no destination. This is something different for me. Reason of this post though....I would greatly appreciate some tips on safety of it all and navigation help. Does all good water connect and has anyone done this. I live by the Mississippi and would like to take it down a bit when I come into it. Our river is considered dangerous, but I have this girl on my Facebook who did the whole thing from.The lake to the gulf. Words of wisdom and advice would be great. I feel like this is something I should do.Some research on and.not just immediately jump into. Someone out there knows how to answer this question better than I can ask it probably lol . Thankyou in advance=)

flaggit

Reaction score
Get OpenCPN for free on Android phones. Read the readme for location of free charts to download from NOAA. Try Active Captain for spots to stay and other information.Take the Ten Tom waterway to Mobile. Check out the Great Loop for routing and info.

Gwasher

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of research into a long distance kayak trip. I recently got an old town kayak and the only places I've been able to take it is lake Lanier and the Etowah river. I'm north of Atlanta and have been thinking of the Mississippi next spring. I wish they made kayak seats more comfortable, 4 hours is about all I can take without hurting.

Jackthereaper

Reaction score
You want as streamlined a boat as you can get, cadence really is everything if you are trying to move quickly.

Stay out of the ocean, its a completely different animal.

If you feel like paddling then get out and paddle till you have seen where they all go. Kayaking has been one of my fav past time activities. Growing up in michigan helped that. We did trips every weekend

Reactions: fig

pallaway

Reaction score
All the stuff im seeing, Mississippi river is definitely not a good option. There's plenty other places. I use a seat cushion when I kayak. Stop for breaks every so often and break the monotony of sitting. The cushion helps a bbunch even though it's just a cheap padding I took off my old neighbors outside chair. I'm out doing.other things now though.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads