tips for booze-free travel?

Reaction score
trainhopping soon with a partner who has done it for many years. we both quit drinking a few months ago and aim to continue that while we travel. they've typically traveled while drinking pretty heavily, so that part of this trip will be new for them and I want to be as supportive as i can. anyone else travel with no alcohol? do you still feel like you can make friends and be a part of the culture? any tips you lovely people have for booze-free travel?

Raleslicr

Reaction score
I went cold turkey on the drink and weed 2 weeks before I hit the road, you are so busy getting prepped for other shit and waiting for the train you just don't have time to be getting trashed, in the same breath when I started traveling last year, I was drinking and smoking in the morning all day long hitchhiking and riding trains. It throws me off and I think having affirmations for why you don't want to drink helps a lot. It impairs me and I wanna be on my ps and QS when I'm living real life.

roughdraft

Reaction score
I've found that talking to people who've gone before me or ahead of me helps. Getting solid advice from their experiences, starting to absorb how they move in the world sober, has started to rub off on me

Last edited:

colter

Reaction score
I'm on the road, clean/ sober 17 months now. I told myself I don't want to live like that anymore. I stay away from drunks, places where those activities are prevalent. Traveling is a little harder because drinking or even weed was always a way to meet similar folks. So be prepared to be more alone. But it's saved a ton of money, bad situations happen less frequently and I'm better prepared to handle them when that do. Now I work on the projects I want to. I'm still not "ok", whatever the fuck that is. Drinking, drugs, cell phone, it's all an escape from my reality. If my reality sucks then why not escape? It took some real thinking on what I want out of my life to start altering the course, and become more comfortable in who I am.

I don't have to to tell folks why I don't drink, just that I don't. I'm ok, thanks. Most will respect that. If they're pushy with drinking, I won't be around them.

Figure out some things you like doing, and do that instead. I write and draw in a notebook, look for neat rocks, carve, practice tying knots, so on. I'm not real concerned with making friends. If I'm doing the things I like to do, then the right people show up. If not, I still did stuff I enjoyed. Win- win.

Stick with it!

imaginarymax

Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Perhaps not the healthiest format, but as someone with an intensely addictive personality, the only thing that's helped me get off one thing or another is trying to switch my addictive tendencies to: Project Optimize, becoming obsessed and deeply entrenched in my other hobbies and interests. also if you feel like relapsing, it can help if ur phones on to just call a bunch of people until you're able to get your mind off of the hooks and cues of relapsing that feels like you cant think about anything else until somehow the loop ends

Reactions: leaves

Opossum

Reaction score
I have "Cali sober" friends who drink a lot of seltzer specifically whenever they're in the mood for a drink. Seems to help at least somewhat, especially with the need for a can in their hand after being used to drinking lotsa beer n being around folks who do.

Reactions: MrMcthuggin

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads