Time to get on the road. | Squat the Planet

Time to get on the road.

Josh Rogue Carden

Reaction score
Me and my girl are tired of florida and all the shit that goes on here. We are looking to travel. Destination is Cali but we also want to enjoy the journey. I am new to this and so is she so we want to travel with a group that we can learn from. We are both fun, crazy (the good kind) and weird because who wants to be normal. We look forward to meeting new people and traveling to new places. Safe Travels!

Reactions: Frypan Meatboots

ScumRag

me, hellarity, oak, ca. about 2006
Reaction score
It's just the way it is... I've been here 14+ years & people love to think it's all paradise, pot smoke & hippies but it isn't at all. The politicians are making it the most heavily taxed state in the union, dreaming up laws & legislation that on first glance you'd think beneficial to the population but hidden under wraps it's usually not at all!

Earthquakes, drought, inclement weather... Unless you got family or business here I wouldn't recommend it at all.

Hudson

Reaction score
Not to mention the cost of living. I rent a 1 bedroom studio cottage 100 miles east of san San Francisco for 1k a month. Granted i have marble countertops. But its an excessive cost for rent.

Shwhiskey Gumimaci

Reaction score
yeah.... I think your ideas of what California is will change drastically once you arrive. I hope you have a plan for once you're here because if your sleeping outside the cops will hunt you down and harass you every chance they get. Also you already have 2 people and you're looking for a group to travel with. Highly unlikely your going to find anyone who wants to pick up 2 greenies. It's already too much for a lot of people to have one. I suggest you just leave on your own and figure it out.

Candice

Reaction score
Been to Cali la and San Diego and It’s different it was ok I never been to Miami tn was nice so was sc and been to panama Fl it’s nice on the beach

Frypan Meatboots

Reaction score
Cali is pretty expensive and law heavy. Visit only, don't stay.
I am attracted by the idea of desert raves and by the culture. It's like, "cornfields, or deserts with mountains, beaches and favorable weather?" While I appreciate how all different places are unique in their own way, I like that California has the desert and the beach. Their way of life seems similar to those of gypsies and if I were to settle down and find semi-permanent work I would want it to be in Califiornia. That is not making any comment about squatting there because that could only be reviewed by those with experience doing it. Taking a train there and touring it would be nice and it seems a relatively-popular destination for wanderers and trainhoppers. I think the Florida sun would be pretty hot for hobos especially in summer, but I think people would be much more generous and considerate of the hobos there. I think maybe it appears that in California, from what responders in this post have said, they want hobos to be more marginalized from certain areas with the police being more strict and all.

Reactions: FenrirFox

Ezra Fyre

Reaction score
I think Cali is Fucking Cold!! ... That's my complaint about Cali... Otherwise... I guess my time there could technically be considered "homeless" or "rubber tramping"... But I was never actually close to either of those... Couch surfing? Maybe?? .... Yeah, Cali is weird for me - There's a thread about turning down free shit - Cali hits that cylinder for me... I don't need a mink coat.... Or huge ass diamond rings... & I don't care about your lemon yellow Lamborghini when I'm trying to use a pay phone...

I never had to pay for shit in Cali... What i had to do was constantly turn crap down... L.A. area, mostly.

"Hollywood" - weird, weird town for me....

Last edited:

ScumRag

me, hellarity, oak, ca. about 2006
Reaction score
I am attracted by the idea of desert raves and by the culture. It's like, "cornfields, or deserts with mountains, beaches and favorable weather?" While I appreciate how all different places are unique in their own way, I like that California has the desert and the beach. Their way of life seems similar to those of gypsies and if I were to settle down and find semi-permanent work I would want it to be in Califiornia. That is not making any comment about squatting there because that could only be reviewed by those with experience doing it. Taking a train there and touring it would be nice and it seems a relatively-popular destination for wanderers and trainhoppers. I think the Florida sun would be pretty hot for hobos especially in summer, but I think people would be much more generous and considerate of the hobos there. I think maybe it appears that in California, from what responders in this post have said, they want hobos to be more marginalized from certain areas with the police being more strict and all.

Desert raves....

OK, this is another instance of outdated info. Maybe in the late 90s but maybe you're referring to the burners & that takes place in Nevada.

Nevada, however is pretty damn cool but don't get caught gay or black there unless you in Reno or Vegas. I knew a punk kid who was living in Jupiter FL who moved back to Reno with his fiancee (mixed couple) & he said they got serious weird vibes in Elko, Ely & other places simply cuz they were mixed. Sad to say altho cool NV is tRump country

Shwhiskey Gumimaci

Reaction score
I feel you think people in Cali are nicer to travelers, think again. ITs overflowing with the homeless and travelers and everyone Is sick and tired of all these people just posting up.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
ITs overflowing with the homeless and travelers and everyone Is sick and tired of all these people just posting up.

Rated your post with "agree" without having a clue about the actual situation in Cali. But I agree in general. When a place is overflowing with the homeless and travelers and whatever kind of "misfit" you can imagine ... members of the general public get sick and annoyed by it. Which means they call for stricter laws or existing laws being enforced more strongly. And other consequences.

I think it's the same everywhere ...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads