Things have changed

happyearthhomes

Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
Man I must be getting old. I fondly remember going to gatherings in the 90s nobody really started shit and all the ones that did usually stayed by A camp there was more of hippy friendly atmosphere throughout the gathering more sharing and trade and alot less theft and ripping people off although i do remeber this dude sticking another dude over like 5 hits of acid at 1horse gap in like 95 but than a bunch of dudes threw a boot party on that guy the next day and ran him out of the gathering. I mean shit man if u had to rip people off the townies were way easier and they always had good shit from their mommas house withem that they'd trade for a lil bit of herb or a hit or two the only gatherings i used to avoid were by colleges cause i couldnt stand the self righteous poser ass college kids with their rich boy gear and theyre like I am so eco minded and like fuk da establishment attitudes meanwhile they drink starbuks and paid 100buks for a hemp poncho and their driving vdubs that were restored on daddys dime man i hated those posers . Shit man iwent to my first gathering with my ma and dad at smilyface towers when i was like 12 we weren't total rainbow but we were gypses we'd always go to illinois gatherings cause my pops would start a couple feilds every may out there than wed cruise the south east chasin storms livin in an old camper workin construction all summer and come back to illinois in the fall to harvest and setup wintercamp. I went out on my own in 97 and hitched a few spots hopped a few spots and laid up in a couple more. ended up chillin in chicago burbs in 99 cause i got this chik pregs next thing i no im conforming to a job and renting places than shit went downhill i started a savings and bought a house and tried to be a good lil citizen no disorderly or drug cases since 99 Now im like man iwasted so much time tryin to be upstanding uncle sams been rammin me in da ass my house is in foreclosure cause my morttgage lender failed [fannymae] and i lost my job like 3yrs ago cause the housing market busted and i built houses So now im like fukit im 30 i got a truck and a small camper im takin my girl and headin out west gonna c some shit do some shit and find a spot to setup for the winter there are millions of unused acres of land out there some good some bad but tons with out of state owners that have never even seen the land they own places that people bought around colorado and wyoming as investment properties[man i just rambled about nothing]

Dmac

Reaction score
i know the feeling. used to do concrete work, now because of all the cheap undocumented workers, ya don't get paid shit. i don't blame them, i'd come here too, if i was from down south. just sucks that employers would reather save money than pay for expierience and skill. lost my house also, the ex took the rest.

thisisme

Reaction score
uh, hi? lol no but seriously, sorry to hear all that man. Maybe it was for the best? now youre gonna go do and see some shit with the one you love, could be worse right? i dunno i guess i try to look at the positive, although trust me as im sure you know that isnt always easy.

happyearthhomes

Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
Hey thanx for the support really appreciate it if i came off whiny about the situation i didnt mean to we are finding the whole situation rather freeing i guess my post was rather ramblingish i tend to just type out my thoughts as they flow i originally was attempting to rant about all the street kid violence against each other and overall change in who the kids are morally before i tried being a conformist i felt like i could trust any of the people i road dogged with not to jak my shit or leave me stranded and now i cruise around on here and there all these stories about bogus ass dudes pullin shit

happyearthhomes

Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
And what i see of the kids out there travelin are more willing to commit crimes against anyone to get by whereas i feel like the people i knew were more about ripping of those with too much than those livin the same life and walkin the same roads i wonder if its the change in music i c more punk kids and juggalos now travelin than hippy kids at least here in chicago i always kik down some change or give a lift to kids if i c em and c where there headin it reminds my old ass of the glorydays

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
I totally dug this post. Feel free to write more. I was just in Chicago have some friends now who live near Cali on the L, what a great town in the summertime. Beautiful women everywhere.

Margarita

Sunset Follower
Reaction score
I was disappointed too to see all the crimes committed against travelling kids (especially the hippie types.) Lot of shwilly types and ghetto criminals run around taking from the poor instead of the rich. When I was in Berkeley the nicest street sister got all her freshly-grown-and-harvested bud taken from her at gunpoint in broad daylight. No matter how street smart you are, shit like that happens. I'm guessing that it happened back in the good ol' days as well, but it seems more common now.

To me the ideal atmosphere is pretty similar to what was seen in the Bay in the 60's, when you probably had to worry more about getting dosed too much rather than stressing about your gear getting jacked by your new "road dog" or getting randomly beaten up at a Rainbow Gathering.

But really, you're only 30; don't worry about getting old til at least 40! :p Gratz on the camper and truck and going west. Despite the misfortunes that caused you to have to do this, I think it's probably for the best considering how you talked about the housed-up life. Go hit the road and see some cool shit with your girl!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads