The scarf shemagh

MetalBryan

Reaction score
I've got a red & white one it's very nice. I've never had to use it to cover my head to block out the sun. Never had to soak it with water and use it over my mouth to filter the air I breathe. However, I have used it as a ground blanket for setting up a meal. I've also used it as a blanket wrapping up my feet. It'd probably make a decent pillow. If you were real clever you could probably tie it up as a sling for someone else in an emergency - doubt you could do that for yourself with one arm injured.

My only complaint would be the amount of space it takes up in the pack. If I was not traveling far from civilization and anticipated pleasant weather, I would probably leave it behind.

ali

Reaction score
I've got a black and gray one from Combat Flip Flops. It's soft and light and folds up pretty small. It's awesome. Also use it for a blanket and pillow in the tent more than anything else. Every now and then i think about buying another one because it's my most luxurious item of clothing, but i agree that it probably is more weight and space than it's worth to carry a spare.

I find myself using a normal bandana more often for tying hair out of my face because it's quicker to tie and leaves my neck free. Also works better under a bike helmet. I do wear the shemagh desert style when i am in places where sand will blow in my face, tho, or occasionally when i am out of sun block and want a bit of extra coverage. It's also a comforting way to get that hoodie feeling when you are on the road, because actual hoodies are way bulkier and much less practical to haul around.

laughingman

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have 3. I do travel with them and use them from time to time. I find the Buff a little smaller and more pack-able. The shemagh is very versatile in how it can be used and ive used mine to walk in the desert, as a sling to gather firewood, a bag to heft water on short hikes, and as a scarf. I always wonder if they make them in patterns that might blend in a little more with the normal tourist crowd. Sometimes its best to stay out of sight and out of mind and the Shemagh still gets odd looks in some parts of the country.

Reactions: Colinleath

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads