"The 'Professional Homeless' make me rage"

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I've kicked down maybe half a dozen times in the last year. And every time It has been someone I visually thought really needed it. (everyone I have seen flying a sign around looks like they need it here... ) So in that respect I suppose I may be guilty of stereotyping who I believe deserves the kickdown. Then again I work... and if you didn't see the beater car I drive but just saw me walking and the way I dress you would think I'm a major homebum. I guess it might be good for a person to just help those that ask sometimes because they ask and not jump quick to judge. You might need some bussfare and just be a kid from some privileged place with an iphone and clean clothes but that does not change the fact that you need help.

I don't think on it much really. I just kickdown when I kickdown. I would hope to get the same if I ever need it.

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
The only gripe I ever had was when I was volunteering at a local soup kitchen back in the day. A lot of the people I gave food too on a daily basis were right before and after eating spanging on the street. Not a block away, saying they needed money for food. Food in most places is remarkably easy to come by. So in a way a lot of times its a straight up lie..even for the real down and outers.

• Useful
Reactions: Odin

professorjpj

Reaction score
There is a MAJOR difference between homelessness, and being a fcking BUM!! Homeless DON'T beg, or lower themselves.. they keep their dignity and find other ways to get by without begging, signing, etc.. BUMS dont give a shit, and beg, borrow, steal, and sell their own mother if needed! Big difference between the 2 types!! Unfortunately, portland is FULL of BUMS!

skitter

Reaction score
Ehhh we gonna play semantics now? I don't buy those definitions. I busk and spange and fly signs but I am also constantly on the move, so I guess I feel a little morally superior to the homebum sitting on the same corner for fifteen years bitching "this is my spot!!"

Go somewhere in an offseason, let's say NYC... You'll see kids all decked out in punk rock train crap or carrharts or whatever the hell who *never fucking leave*. Bums, all of 'em!! :)
I lovingly poke fun at friends who get trapped in the "West Coast Shuffle"... Go from Washington to Oregon to California to Oregon to California, stay in California, maaaaybe end up in Nevada for a moment, back to California, go to Oregon, go to Washington, wash, rinse, repeat.

(..........i am totally homesick for the east coast... and I am not even from there, haha).

Your post has a touch of hyperbole. Steal and sell my own mother cause I flew a sign? Damn. We're all kind of in the same boat anyway.
I would say a bum never. fucking. leaves. As in a homebum. As in burn out good fly spots and sleep spots with your greed and rampant wastoid alcoholism.

Honestly unless you are gonna spange me over and over or be a fucking creep, I don't care if youre a homebum. I have met some decent homebums. I have gotten great help from homebums. I don't care. If bums want to post up in Portland or San Francisco for freaking ever, thats cool, cause its just better pickins for those of us that get our happy asses up and out of the same routine.

Sorry if that comes off as self-righteous... We are posting on a forum after all. Some of my most beloved friends never fucking leave places and as long as they are happy then that is okay with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Odin

professorjpj

Reaction score
I only write what I see.. Since I am very "anti low-life", I guess I have a strong opinion about them.. And yes, I also speak from experiences.. Ive been homeless MOST of my life, with no income, and yet I survive without begging, without alcohol or drugs, and I keep my looks clean as well as my clothes.. So yes, Im homeless, but no, I am NOT a bum or low-life.. However, most are!! And yes, that's my opinion...

S

spectacular

Ehhh we gonna play semantics now? I don't buy those definitions. I busk and spange and fly signs but I am also constantly on the move, so I guess I feel a little morally superior to the homebum sitting on the same corner for fifteen years bitching "this is my spot!!"

Go somewhere in an offseason, let's say NYC... You'll see kids all decked out in punk rock train crap or carrharts or whatever the hell who *never fucking leave*. Bums, all of 'em!! :)
I lovingly poke fun at friends who get trapped in the "West Coast Shuffle"... Go from Washington to Oregon to California to Oregon to California, stay in California, maaaaybe end up in Nevada for a moment, back to California, go to Oregon, go to Washington, wash, rinse, repeat.

(..........i am totally homesick for the east coast... and I am not even from there, haha).

Your post has a touch of hyperbole. Steal and sell my own mother cause I flew a sign? Damn. We're all kind of in the same boat anyway.
I would say a bum never. fucking. leaves. As in a homebum. As in burn out good fly spots and sleep spots with your greed and rampant wastoid alcoholism.

Honestly unless you are gonna spange me over and over or be a fucking creep, I don't care if youre a homebum. I have met some decent homebums. I have gotten great help from homebums. I don't care. If bums want to post up in Portland or San Francisco for freaking ever, thats cool, cause its just better pickins for those of us that get our happy asses up and out of the same routine.

Sorry if that comes off as self-righteous... We are posting on a forum after all. Some of my most beloved friends never fucking leave places and as long as they are happy then that is okay with me.

how's sparks, still there?

Last edited by a moderator:

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
people on the street need to be starving filthy and insane to deserve donations. no ipod. no soap. no cell phone.

I'm filthy and insane... and when I'm to dim to feed myself.... I starve. (good reason to find a good woman).... ::pompus::
I'll give you soap... and a smart phone...(mebbe... it might just have txt)... and if you want music... I'll blow on a jug for ya.::cat::

if you pull on my heartstrings and I don't catch on to a scam.... I'll prolly help ya. ::woot::
No reason to regret it. Some day I'll be eating drit too. ::drinkingbuddy::

professorjpj

Reaction score
people on the street need to be starving filthy and insane to deserve donations. no ipod. no soap. no cell phone.
Nope.. I just see no point in begging.. Besides reducing your self-esteem even further and making others uncomfortable.. Whats wrong with collecting cans? Or labor pools? Or selling something homemade instead of begging? Hell, break open a parking meter if your that desperate(id actually have MORE respect for people doing this, it takes WORK to steal).. hehe

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
And it takes strength humility and honor to ask for help. Don't think everyone that's willing to give you a helping hand has an agenda or is gonna shaft ya.
I'll bleed to feed ya. ~ said the homeless hermit.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
And if you want to sing me a song for your dinner... easy peasy... I'll keep time with my chopsticks.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
But first... lets have a sip of this rotgut. ::eek:ldman::

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
you know...
seems to me that there are two things that suck..

the first is that people who want to exist at a minimalist level really don't have much in the way of options or choices..

generally speaking (please note the conditional there, because yes, if you want play lawyer, i imagine you could create some theoretical scenarios where the following are possible, but only in an absolutely bullshit context) it's illegal to or impossible to forage, at will, or to hunt, at will..
illegal to ride a horse across what used to be open plains, camp for more than 14 days upon what should be productive lands for people to use as resources for self-subsistence, etc.

that means that folks who would prefer that type of lifestyle, where they extract only so much as they need for daily existence, have no means to do so, except in the context of the existing... cough.. cough.. uhhgh.. barfff... uhg.. "rule of law"...

where the *fuck* can people go to work 2 or 3 days a week, asking fo no more than a place to pitch a tent without harassment, a place to defecate & a place to wash..

all it takes for a person to earn their way is about 15-20 hours of work per week.

the law, however, mandates that if certain economic criteria are not met, an individual can be punished.
at the same time the law does not guarantee that the opportunities to meet those requirements will be available.

it takes about 15 hours of work a week to provide the minimum necessities for existence, so long as an individual uses a portable shelter & the majority of their earnings for subsistence.
At $10 per hour, that is $400 take home per month (& the 200 in taxes should provide a reasonable place to crap & shower, like, say Planet Fitness, at $20 per mo or less) , and I know for a fact that I can live easily on $400 for food.
That's just 2 fucking days a week, basically, at a reasonable minimum wage..

if society wants to get the homeless off the streets, then give them an opportunity to earn & remain at least clean, so that those of us who are down with doing a little work & moving on can do so without fear of reprisal from the industrial police state.

that being said, i have little patience for people who don't *do* anything with the generosity given between those like us & those whom are not..

if someone throws down for you?

Go!! explore!! see good things.. enjoy...

but christ jesus fuck.. be honest & be fucking real & do as much for yourself as you can...

do *not* be a fucking leech..

a lot of people who *would* work wind up on soup lines & stagnant not because they *want* to, or even because they are overly lazy, but simply because the opportunity to provide for themselves does not exist..

i didn't ask to be born in this fucking civilization, & frankly?

well.. we all know what frankly is..

this civilization is a shithole that kills people whom do not conform to it.

& *it* deserves to fucking die.

sooo...

you get a bunch of people who don't do anything, because they *can't* do anything...

day labor is not easy to find, & just getting to it can be a bitch, *plus* the prerequisites just to get a fucking day job mean you are fucked to begin with..

it's all fucking absurd...

i have a *lot* of respect for buskers & street musicians...

there's a lot more that could be said, but basically?

if you don't work when you *can* work, to pull your weight when you *can* pull your weight?

fuck you..

go crawl & die with the fucking lawyers & the cops, because you are exactly that kind of scum & you need to figure it out *before* you become one of the poor assholes who blew their life away & really *do* need the pity & resources, because you have thrown yourselves into an early death of destitution, uselessness & pain...

y'all know who you are & who you aren't, & if you don't, it's because you don't want to.

my advise is that people stay clean, keep a smile & ask for work, instead of a handout.
you might find that folks who will give you a day job will give you more than money..

it sucks that day work is such a bitch to find.. if it wasn't, there would be a fuck of a lot less "homelessness", because most folks on the road *welcome* good work, so far as i can tell..

& folks that want to stay in an area would probably day labor, if they could throw a damn tent, safely...

anyways..

bitch bitch bitc, ramble ramble ramble, rant rant rant...

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
Ya the government cant have free people, it fucks the system. It was pretty blatant up here in Canada when the British came in. The government and their henchmen the RCMP, went out and wrangled up all the nomadic hunters like the Inuit and forced them to live in towns, dress and live like the British, work and contribute to the economy. Basically take away everything they where.
In other parts, in order to claim some of the northern lands over Russia, they shipped people way up North and left them there to fend against the harsh elements, and on top of it all they told them they could only hunt one caribou per family per fucking year. Most of what people think "Eskimos" are, was created. They Intuit never lived way up there...but that leads to a whole other thing.
Trust me, if history (and this is recent history, as early as the 1950's this was going on) shows us anything, were just pawns in corporate games. Most people don't even realise our Provinces and States are corporations. Ontario, where I'm at was started by "The Hudson's Bay Company" which was a British fir trading company. This isn't some land started by the people and run by the people.

All that being said, it doesn't necessarily mean that any one living off the grid or outside the machine is justified in the act. If you fly a sign saying your broke and cant get food, but you have an expensive phone which many hard working people cant afford, and your dressed and eating pretty good, and your managing to get drunk and stoned every night off of hard working peoples donations. I don't think your any better than the governments who rip people off. Its the same action on a personal scale, its selfish.

The majority of kids who claim their hard done by in north America are full of shit, plane and simple. I've been to many developing countries, and Ill tell you there's a huge difference between the kids who really are struggling to survive and the kids who chose it and bitch like whiny little fucks about the system, like its the reason their on the street.

If your not making an effort to survive or contribute to the society your begging from, then you don't really deserve a kick down. Kids are way to entitled these days. Fucking the other month I go to get a coffee and there are these two street kids chilling in the coffee shop. I get my coffee and as soon as I get my change one of them asks me if they can have it for food.
I look up at him and I tell him there is the Shepherd of good hope, the salvation army, and the Mission near by. All three have good food and I've eaten there many times. His response, "I'm sick of their fucking food". The cunt actually raised his voice at me. Its skids like these man...and I hate to say it but they are the majority.
Just as slimy as the governments they hate. Their like lazy mini governments who will never get anywhere. At least governments offer a reach around from time to time to create the illusion that its a dual venture.

Last edited:

Raven1998

Reaction score
Ive always been really anti spange.

I dont believe in anything absolute so obviously there are some times where it is probably the right thing or the thing you need to do but for the most part I am not about it.

I dont understand why, especially people who are trying to escape or live outside of the money and capitol exchange, think it should just be given to them for nothing. Especially young able body traveler kids. Its so easy to stand on the corner and ask for money and it pays pretty well but i think its just a lazy way to get by.

I never understood why peeps say they need money for food or even beer. To me this means theres still a huge disconnect from what these people think they need. They need money because money gets them food. Fuck money, You dont need the money! Why would i give out money to buy food, Im down to give people food. Ive got ebt and I know you can eat free everyday somewhere here in the east bay. We all need to be deemphasizing the role money has in acquiring resources and necessities.

Art101

Reaction score
Is there a pic of the front of the sign? I guess my take on it is that when I became homeless there weren't cellphones easily available, so it never was important. I survived just fine then. If I needed money there was day labor around. the main issue I have is (for example when I was in Boise) the renting of street corners or prime spots, the attitude of you owe me your money and the general crappy attitude that seems much more prevalent today then there was say 5 years ago. Just my 2 cents for whatever it was worth.

J

Johnny P

I'm a professional. I will fly signs when I'm passing through town, make some money, resupply and then leave. It's not up to you to judge weather I'm right or wrong...if you don't like it...don't give me money.

Will I work? Of course I will, if there is an opportunity to do so.
Will I busk? Of course, if there is a good venue for such.

Flying a sign makes way more money per hour than working or busking...yes I am living off of the kindness of others, ut I have respect. I go up to the corner expecting NOTHING, and every kick down should be treated as a blessing.

Only God/The Universe or whatever you want to call it can judge me...

It is the oogles and homebum kids that sit in the same spot for weeks on end holding a "Traveling, Broke, Hungry" sign. "Bitch you ain't traveling anywhere but from that spot on the sidewalk to the beer store and then maybe to the shitty doorway you sleep in.

I'm a tramp and I beg, but I definitely ain't no Bum

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads