The best packs

Psyop

Reaction score
The medium alice is kind of small if you want to carry a sleeping system inside of your bag. The large may be more to your liking. There's lots of good bags on there in your price range. Speaking of drinking, I'm gonna head to the store now.

**sidenote for all of you 12% drinkers: I hear that shit is gonna disappear real soon.

Thats why the Molle 2 pack is so nice. Top load like Alice but with a seperate sleep compartment.

I had also heard that the 12% stuff was being banned a lot of places.

railroadron

Reaction score
oh yeah..it is banned in some places. Not sure about here where I m at now but i like good quality beer and booze except the fact i recently got a gig bar backing which pays cash nightly and all the PBR I can drink except I m not allowed to get so toasted I cant lug beer. Its a university town and stays packed. PBR is cheap crap but its free and thats the best beer in the world. LOL

Reactions: ironman

railroadron

Reaction score
it is! Perfect cause i just did a west coast to east coast trip seeing NY for the first time..cant stand the heat so now back west taking a much needed break and banking so i can refit and move once the itch comes

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
I second the alice with the molle straps and kidney pad.I only invested $50-$60 in everything and its a large LC-1.Which you can snag the stock pack with frame for $30 on ebay.But beware the stock straps and kidney pad fucking SUCK.I couldn't even take carrying 20-30lbs with the stock crap.

Now with the Molle upgrades i can carry 30-40lbs daily and not really have much of a comfort problem.And i do love my luxuries lol.The upgrades will run you about $15-$20 each depending on where you get em on ebay.

I pretty much carry the same type of crap you do Ron expect i don't carry a tent.I use to till it got wrecked by some idiots running in the dark and tripping on one of the guide lines then that ripped a massive hole in the side of it.I'll just take a tarp from now on lol.

Hell our boys are throwing away the MOLLE pack and keeping the straps/kidney pad then throwing em on the old alice packs.Since the molle system doesn't offer nearly as much room as a large lc1.And the molle pack is a much weaker pack compared to the old school alice stuff.Which is pretty much bombproof.

There is a reason why they are going back to the old alice stuff.Its proven/cheap and damn hard to kill one.And you can get them at just about any surplus store.

railroadron

Reaction score
OK, I m sold on the durability factor and secondly the price. Found one at Andy and BAX out of Portland..closest to me..Alice frame and molle 2 pack. they wont answer the phone though..i need it shipped to me

bryanpaul

Reaction score
i gotta pack thats seen well over 10,000 miles....zippers have been replaced and whatnot...but the MOLLE packs that they give the fuckers in afganistan.....are gooood.....the one i have is a "camelbak" brand....has that water bladder and sucker hose to drink out of....(i ditched that in favor of a gallon jug from the get go)....the fabric is so tough that it's a BITCH to try to sew through it....if you get one new...theyre really expensive.....but that "cordura" fabric (same material they make alot of skate shoes out of) is tough.....this is the one i have
MotherLode%20ACU%20100oz.jpg

mine is a different color but the same pack.................................but yeah.......no offense to anyone, but the old school ALICE packs can suck it....i've never personally travellrd with on but i've felt em....and theyre not comfy, heavy and not waterproof.....if all else fails, walmarts usually have the coleman packs in a pinch......they used to sell this "remington"(as in remington firearms and ammunition) pack for 20 bux....but i havent seen them in a while....now most walmarts sell the 60$ coleman hiking packs....which should only take a day (or less)of flying a sign at the exit to the place to make up

bryanpaul

Reaction score
^ and all those little fabric loops work good with dollar store bungee cords to stap up whatever needs to git strapped up.........cuz mah niggas on the the road..STAY STRAPPED

Reactions: ironman

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
Yeah i was actually looking at the MOLLE packs themselves.Seems like a good idea since you got 3 bags that open up like a suitcase.But i really don't think it would provide enough room for what i carry.Hell i pretty much fill the large alice i got with the crap i carry.

Its an interesting bag though.Fair as water proofing goes the damn alice's lack that alot lol.But i just throw a garbage bag over my bag and im good for whatever nature throws at me.

The only downside i see to the molle stuff is the damn price.Used around $70+ new $100+.Doesn't really seem worth it.But if someone was to hand me one id try it out.

Jps

Reaction score
I tend to pack heavy because I like a few added luxuries in my travels and i want to know from you heavy packers which pack is best and what you find to be most durable. I prefer external frame packs because there s a place for the bedroll without having to unload things to dig it out. I have the cash to re outfit and need to keep upcoming winter in mind so who s better these days..kelty? Jansport?

Jps

Reaction score
Definitely kelty...however, if your going to be traveling over obstacles:rocks hills up hill climbs. You may want to go with an internal pack. Cause a external would be extremely uncomfortable. The frame itself would be bulky and unbalanced, since you said you pack heavy. Plus, with an internal pack you can get alot more items squeezed and packed more in the side of other items and the pack itself.

I have Gregory/Whitney 6000+ci expedition pack. I TOO! Tend to pack more than I need. With all of the auto-cants, it makes the pack feel so much comfortable and light due to the fit of the pack ratio to my body.KELTY quality is superb!!!

Reactions: Psi em

Kenn Lee

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Army surplus gear is deffinitly the way to go I think, I got a olive drab foam mat, a .6lb full size sleeping bag, A canvis vietnam pancho, a shemagh scarf and a 2qrt canteen for 60 bucks. The bag i use is a jansport aluminum outside frame bag. its maybe a pound by itself and its relitivly cheap and very weight balenced with lubar support prolly 75$

Monterey

Reaction score
I use an Alice with the aluminum frame and the sleeping bag bungeed to the bottom, and a grey bucket with a lid. Those old-timeys know what they are doing. You can do your laundry in them and you always have somewhere to sit. That is huge. Also I have a carabiner on the end of my dog's leash, so I can click the leash to the heavy bucket while I go inside and still wear my pack.
I just wish my Alice was brown. Do they even make those?

-Monterey

Teko

rooted
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I use an Alice with the aluminum frame and the sleeping bag bungeed to the bottom, and a grey bucket with a lid. Those old-timeys know what they are doing. You can do your laundry in them and you always have somewhere to sit. That is huge. Also I have a carabiner on the end of my dog's leash, so I can click the leash to the heavy bucket while I go inside and still wear my pack.
I just wish my Alice was brown. Do they even make those?

-Monterey
they might have an older canvas alice. but i doubt you are going to find anything modernish in brown. most are green and khaki

• Useful
Reactions: Monterey

Teko

rooted
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I tend to pack heavy because I like a few added luxuries in my travels and i want to know from you heavy packers which pack is best and what you find to be most durable. I prefer external frame packs because there s a place for the bedroll without having to unload things to dig it out. I have the cash to re outfit and need to keep upcoming winter in mind so who s better these days..kelty? Jansport?
kelty for the win. have had my coyote pack for over 5 years and has been through a lot of abuse. only thing that tore was the bottom loops. but they were going to tear eventually. the rest of the pack is dope as shit. if you can buy your pack from rei if you are going for brand new. the only reason i say that is, if you buy yer gear from them, even if a zipper comes off your pack, sleeping bag, etc, they will replace it for free.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads