Tatanka again, back to the land | Squat the Planet

Tatanka again, back to the land

Tatanka

Reaction score
Some may remember me. I quit here because I was pretty much non use of any tech for awhile. I still own none besides some solar and a battery at the moment ( I am on the communal family computer of her parent's).
This man met a woman who was a rideshare to my cabin, we've been together for over 2 years and are raising sheep and a steer and meat turkeys on her parents land in the hills here. I've been living in an outfitters tent with my pooch since may while my lady transitions out of her house this spring as I build yet another off grid recycled sustainable cabin. Oh yeah we have a large 2 month son as well.
I've been tanning hides, covering most ground to spend some nights with them on foot or bicycle but do have a family car from my mom we both still use. I came across the site again due to a very good looking post about homesteading, such as we are doing. Milk goats this spring. Our sheep will have their wool stuffed into our walls- have already fed us and will be felted for clothing along with any hides I tan. Ate a number of our turkeys already and I took the life of a beautiful little buck whitetail a few weeks ago. It's hide is in the ashes solution right now slipping the hair. Take Care
Could try to post photographs off of her old digital but neither of us use these zombies hand bots so it will probably never happen. REWILD!

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Well that was a super positive update. What a serendipitous rideshare! Thanks for checking in and sharing with us. I remember the name but not the face. I think you're having the best 2020 of anyone I know of. Makes sense, rewilding and all. Hope your 2021 is even better.

• Agree
Reactions: Coywolf and croc

MxEx

Reaction score
Wow that’s pretty rad I remember you on here a long time ago. I rarely use the site. Didn’t much then and only a little bit here and there. Still pretty much the same place with weird rules about being able to read train hopping forum (again kinda like always) which is what I like to read most. Guess I have to complete my profile. Thanks for the personal update. Nice to see what happens when people deter from the technology world and put some elbow grease and noodle into the equation. Still mostly newbies or rare travellers but good to have ya back

Last edited:

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Wow that’s pretty rad I remember you on here a long time ago. I rarely use the site. Didn’t much then and only a little bit here and there. Still pretty much the same place with weird rules about train hopping forum which is what I like to read most but in my 11 years or more as a member of the site I have t posted enough posts to be let in that forum. Where abouts you homesteading at?

Must be some sort of error/bug occurring. You've posted 50 times over the years. The requirement for that forum is only 10 posts. That doesn't mean 10 unique posts like.. starting threads. It just means make 10 comments here or there. Isn't really that big of a deal. I don't find it to be a weird rule at all.

I guess if you were volunteering your time to moderate from this side of things you'd understand why we need that rule. The reason it's in place is because otherwise we get knuckleheads that join the site and literally day one just jump in that forum and start trying to get information. Generally asking the same questions that have been asked a million times that they can easily find via the search feature. So it just kinda helps eliminate a little bit of that.

It isn't a perfect system, a lot of people just cheese the 10 posts with some basic low effort comments all in a few minutes just to get access and that's something we're trying to fix as well. Anyway, I think what's going on here is maybe that 10 posts rule came into effect after the majority of your posts, like as in you'd already posted say 46 times.. and since the rule went into effect you've only posted 4 times.. that sort of thing? Like maybe the system isn't grandfathering you in with those posts you made pre-10 post rule. I think @Matt Derrick needs to look into that.

• Agree
Reactions: Coywolf and MxEx

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
@MxEx That last comment you made was your 10th comment made since a long break in your activity going back all the way to 2014. So I definitely think what happened is as I outlined above. It doesn't grandfather you in with old shit you posted pre-10 post rule. So.. since you've posted 10 now all within a more recent timeframe.. I'm curious if that last comment unlocked that forum for you? You mind checking it?

• Agree
Reactions: MxEx

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I’m in!
Glad to hear it :)
Most of the time when the numbers don't match up (date of account or number of posts) it's because the 'about me' field isn't filled out.
On a side note, the url for your bandcamp page has a typo, but im listening to it now and digging nine tenths :)

Reactions: MxEx

Tatanka

Reaction score
Rough country of Lake Erie about 2 miles from the lake in Northern PA. too many vineyard monoculture but our spot is a more woods and our own reclaimed apple orchard. I'm really hoping to get us all nomadic seasonally again in a few years maybe with a small herd out to my cabin in Potter Co. PA.

Reactions: Koala and Coywolf

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads