taking newbes on the road

Mid

Reaction score
Someone brought me with them to NOLA in October, 'was my first time. Going there was fun. After two days the wharf got raided by cops so I got a ride out of there. Scared the shit outta me, didn't want to get arrested and loose my dog- by dog I mean the one pictured above. Even after that happened I still have itchy feet but really have no idea where to start.

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would say don't be afraid to abandon someone when the time is right. A sinking dumbass is not worth trying to keep afloat if they just keep dragging you down - sink or swim mutherfucker, do or die.

Perfect example exemplified in emporer of the north pole. A no. 1 tried and tried but ol' cigarette was a bad apple and a oggle from the get go - least the shit could swim on his own in the end lulz!

3t87

Reaction score
get to know them, see if their ''road'' worthy and know there reasons for wanting to travel, when i was newbie i got taken to the rails and had a blast, learned alot about life and pulled my weight with the spange, had a couple weird run-ins but for the most part i would take a newbie if it felt right..traveling is a journey and when ppl get into it..don't expect a certain outcome cause shit is always changing and nothing is certain, just have good road dogs and stick by 'em through the good and shitty and they will probably do the same for you hence the word ''probably'' as there are a few flakes out there.>

lowerarchy

Reaction score
I'm gonna teach some kid how to stay home and not do shit for a while and then surf the internet a bit... order pizzas and stuff. And how to just sorta watch TV and then go look out the window for a while. They gotta learn somehow. I consider it an honor.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
ooooh. where are you i can have my mom drive to wear you are on weekends lolz

C

crustythadd23

I've taken a few new kids on the road before sometimes its fun & other times it fuckin sucks/ just gotta know them for a while fersure. me & 2 my buddies picked up 4 kids once in SF took em to portland & the day we wanted to hop out of portland we were teachin them how to catch on the fly but 3 of them would not try it, made us be there 3 days longer after bein there for 2 weeks to the point we just left those 3 behind & one of em came along

RideMoreTrains

Reaction score
nope wont do it anymore. i got very little patience as it is these days. i just wouldn't be able to handle it and id end up leaving there ass in the dust. i cant even travel with other people now. they just irritate me and get in the way. ive got a few people i do short stretches with but ive known them for years and they got experience. no having to hold anyones hand.

i remember when i was younger i road trains with a greenhorn. he drank all his water in a couple hours and didn't have any. after 14 hrs he was miserable. he thought he was going to drink mine that i had conserved. fuck no!!!!! i told him to save his water and told him he needed to carry more. its these things that make me absolutely livid mad.

Nelco

Reaction score
I love newbie's..I always took domesticated people with me, to break them free, until they were ready to go on their own. It always made me feel like I was doing something worth while. I love their melt downs..i'd took it as they were still alive and human. I hoped they'd do the same and there'd be more of us out of the system..the whole power in numbers thing...aside from anything though, newb's were always more pure hearted to me and less likely to have something to prove. It was like reliving the newness of the whole experience through them.

I started when I was 15, when my family sent me to ohio, in hopes it would change me..than the other half of the family sent me back to tn to get rid of me, i just left once i was back in tn. I remember being able to breathe for my first times. I was back packing aroung for a few years and got caught up with a controlling guy for a few years, than started rubber tramping and I remember how freaked out I was that time around and realized it was the vehicles causing it and learning the earth is a safe haven above any securities man made stuff can offer..i learned how to do it without vehicles again and through it all I drug other people off with me.
I tryed to take this other person, out of this group, I was schooling about sqautting outskirts style, but we got pulled off our first train and he was extridited for a year sentence..the person that took me on my first trains was cool with me taking random people with us. He was the type to take green horns too.

chaosfactorxx

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I know this thread's kinda old, but fuck it. I've took 2 green kids out last year and they actually ended up saving my ass. I put them on their first train and we kicked it for about 2 months? They were actually really excited and weren't retarded and blowing shit up. We got pulled off a train in NC and they spanged up $150 to get me outta jail, which is fucking awesome.

Reactions: Alaska
K

Kim Chee

yep, this thread is kinda old. It is your responsibility to pass the torch to the next generation of travelers, hitchhiker, train riders, buskers, whatever.
If you believe in what you are doing why would you think it is cool to be a dickhead and bogart your skills when you have a willing apprentice? I'm
not saying you should go bend over backwards and travel a long distance to meet up or head down to the nearest shelter looking for somebody
who is worthy. If somebody shows the slightest interest and competence, give 'em a hand and teach them a few things like how not to be an oog.

panik

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
i think there are certain types of people who really feed off being the "guru" of the traveling group or whatever. I was with this dude for like a year and you know, he pretty much showed me what's up with trains but he totally held it over my head, often like making me feel stupid to I assume boost his ego. We took several people with us and he always did the same shit to them too but way worse. It would make me pretty mad because I would always have to be the in-between person like making the new guy feel okay about being a n00b or whatever and trying to keep my boyfriend from bein' a jerk. so my advice is to not take someone new on the road if you're only doing it to boost yer ego, don't treat them like shit just because they don't know much. to someone new hitting the road with an experienced traveler- don't act like you know more than you do, just be honest...but don't take someone's shit either or let them be abusive. there's no like "big mystery" to traveling...I hate when people act like there's some big secret to this shit, i feel like it's a way to make other's feel like they need them around.

Reactions: japanarchist

livefreeordie

Reaction score
yea i first got brought to cali by this chic. she went to jail 2 weeks later. my other roaddogs either went back home or back to prison. its not that hard to figure it out. bring new cools kids out and show them how its done. the right way

Alaska

Reaction score
Bringing a good friend of mine from up here down to the states in April. I once brought 4 new kids from cambridge to richmond in 2009, methinks.. Good times. Didn't know them all too well, but they ended up being pretty chill. However, two of them ended up going back to cambridge, one is dead, and only one is still on the road and thriving. 1/4 ain't... too bad...? Right?

But yeah, really pumped to bring a friend I've known for more than 5 years. He's going to his first real protest at G8, too. It's just all so adorable! I can't wait until his bullshit military haircut gets all scraggly, his blue vest turns brown, and he loses half of his shit because of the inevitable "drunk as fuck" night to come. I'm psyched.

Reactions: Ristoncor

Rolling Blackouts

Reaction score
Wizehop put it best - it's all about having the opportunity to influence and educate the next generation.
That last thing we need is more and more ignorant, schwilly kid riders out there fucking it up for everyone else.
I've taken lots of friends on their first rides - some ended up hating it and others ran with it.
It seems some people just want the cheap-thrill experience of riding a freight train, while others desire the true skill - the knowledge and ability to transport oneself across the continent quietly and anonymously.

Reactions: Alaska

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads