taking newbes on the road

Jimmy

Reaction score
Its hard taking new kids on the road. I dont ussually do it unless Im sure they can handle it. I have been in situations where people start breaking down crying in shit. Not use to the road I guess...

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
Showing new peeps the ropes is the bomb. You have a chance to shape the new generations. Im selective about who Id take out and over the years I have yet to have any problems. Pretty fulfilling if you ask me.

smellsea

Reaction score
it's okay sometimes. i dono you gotta get to know them for at least a month first. or else you wont be able to tolerate their stupidity.

M

Monkeywrench

I've taken a number of people on their first travels. The one thing I've found to consistently be an issue with freshcut travelers has been their need to prove a "toughness" to others. Especially in girls, or younger guys. It's like they encounter some bad apples and feel the need to emulate their horrible personalities as a defense mechanism or something.

"Can I have a schwill?"
"No. Give me a second."
"FUCK YOU OOGLE BITCH."
"Woah... woah. You left home 2 days ago."

Medusa

Reaction score
It's definitely a good thing for some people to do, but there are a lot of people who will teach the newbies bad habits and shit. I'm so glad I found a really experienced kid to bring me into traveling. I learned a lot. The only problem was that he was pretty jaded by that point, so he'd act all pissy sometimes, especially when he quit drinking and smoking. He ended up ditching me in Santa Barbara because he was so moody and was in a hurry to retire in OR and see this girl. I admit, I was probably kinda annoying because I was still getting used to shit, but he still shouldn't have ditched me like that. He just disappeared. Anyway, I found him when I eventually made it to OR, and we're still friends. Some people just don't have the right mentality to deal with newbies, and some newbies are just total oogles and probably always will be. It's all about finding the right people.
I'll be taking my friend out for her first time next summer, but I know she's not going to act like some dumbass, so I'm pretty excited about it.

stellaxtara

Reaction score
it's okay sometimes. i dono you gotta get to know them for at least a month first. or else you wont be able to tolerate their stupidity.

I agree. Sometimes you get stuck with someone on the fly thats new to being on the road... and it winds up like someone else said, people crying breakin down, freakin out. You deff need to get to know the person. && it also sucks when people hardcore lean on you for shit. Like damn man get a clue get your shit together find your way of makin ends meet on the road. If they don't pick it you gotta drop em, you can let them smother/drown/abuse a helping hand.

stellaxtara

Reaction score
so does anyone have any suggestions because I am probably going to take someone on the road with me.

**edit: I wasn't specific!!

I've taken people on the road before I was just wondering if anyone else had suggestions. I got fucked over and used pretty hard last time, I know thats NEVER going to happen again. But I do want to help newbie get ajusted to road life, etc. I'd like to help them get the point where they are more independent & whatever. I'm not a great teacher, I just try to lead in example :]

CXR1037

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I haven't taken anyone out yet, but there have been quite a few good friends who've shown some interest in train riding. As wizehop said, you're shaping the new generation. In a way, I feel like it's my responsibility to take all the oogle kids under my wings and show them the light of being a decent human being!

That's it, I'll become an altruist!

timmyredbeard

Reaction score
Haven't really had experience with taking anyone out for their first time but I did travel with a kid who had just started traveling and was a run away. It was quiet interesting. We actually learned a lot from each other (me still being sort of "fresh" as well). I figured I kind of owed it since the kids that showed me the ropes were super awesome to have just met me and take me with them. Plus he sort of got ditched and he seemed like a cool kid. Overall, he turned out to be one of my favorite road dawgs (when he wasn't blacking out on Steel Reserve and trying to wander around aimlessly).
I could see how it could be super annoying though. Some people just aren't cut out for the lifestyle. To each their own.
As far as suggestions I'd say just be as good a teacher as you can; if they can't hang they can't hang, ain't your problem.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
it depends...sometimes you travel with people - i guess they don't necessarily have to be newbies - who don't pull their weight. that can get real old real quick. or who complain because they have to walk a few miles with their already overweighted packs, GOD FORBID!!!!

Jimmy

Reaction score
lol, I have seen this before several times. I just dont think they know what theyre getting into. And then you have to vouch for them...or not, depending on how close you are with the person. I have only taken one other kid that I knew fairly well under my wing and it turned out to be a pretty cool trip. The ones that have been disasters is where I hooked up with random kids I met on the road who didnt have a lot of expierience traveling. And they seemed to as you said want to prove themselves, or tell me they hopped dozens of trains when they had never even rode before. Suffice it to say.. I travel alone quite often these days.

Nate182010

Reaction score
Website
squattheplanet.com
I don't really mind taking new kids on the road. I took a good friend of mine with me on a trip to california and I had lots of fun. We got huge kick downs cause he is a huge people person and loved talking to strangers. He was fine with alking for miles and didn't care when we got lost, because that is half the fun. We meet some really great people (also because of his personality). It was probably my favorite trip i've taken.
But the last trip I took this girl who; when i meet her she didn't even know what squatting ment, and this other kids; who i kinda knew, with me. Well the guy was to worried about cops all the time and was always worried about eveything, and the girl didn't worry enough. She didn't care about her pack. We always had to watch her back when she never had ours. And when you tell her she can't do that, she would either get pissed and hit you and run off, or she would cry. So i think it's about 50/50

Meek1

Reaction score
New travelers are lucky to have people who are able to show them the ropes and mentor them. From where I come from Im stuck learning by myself so far.................

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads