Suggestions on santa barbra | Squat the Planet

Suggestions on santa barbra

Reaction score
First thank you all for such awsome advice on my last thread about where to go during covid 19...i think I have narrowed it down to Santa Barbra CA. Like I mentioned before this is kinda a new experience for me and all i got is a back pack and a one way amtrak ticket(that's the plan anyway) so id live seasoned advice about what to do and how to get started once I get there. My wanting plan is to travel north along the coast as much as possible so any pointers would he awsome

Thank you and if this is in the wrong spot again I'm sorry.

trashswag86

Reaction score
Get a silcock key. I've got a 4-way one that I turned into a smiley with some rope.

Look into water-filters. I've got a Sawyer mini. They're great, just don't let it get under 32 Fahrenheit or it's trash.

Get a decent rain poncho, from army surplus or whatever, that unsnaps into a tarp.

Do a little research on sock options for hiking/long trecks and decide what's best for you.

On the cheap, pantyhose will wick sweat away, and so keep you dry. I like the ones that just come up to the knee, cause they're easier to put on or pull off. They'll also help keep blisters away, cause they'll act as an inner sock.

In general, try to start with as few things as you can when you start. You can always get that extra thing later, but if you get it now and and then find out its really not worth the weight, well you just waisted resources.

Read backpacking magazines and internet forums. Get on Reddit. They've got tons of great forums. Also, definitely use the search on this website. Check the forum on here dedicated to food, and the one on gear, and the one on work.

And after you've perused all the sources that are available to you, come back here or other forums (like Reddit) and ask more specific questions.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Get a silcock key. I've got a 4-way one that I turned into a smiley with some rope.

Look into water-filters. I've got a Sawyer mini. They're great, just don't let it get under 32 Fahrenheit or it's trash.

Get a decent rain poncho, from army surplus or whatever, that unsnaps into a tarp.

Do a little research on sock options for hiking/long trecks and decide what's best for you.

On the cheap, pantyhose will wick sweat away, and so keep you dry. I like the ones that just come up to the knee, cause they're easier to put on or pull off. They'll also help keep blisters away, cause they'll act as an inner sock.

In general, try to start with as few things as you can when you start. You can always get that extra thing later, but if you get it now and and then find out its really not worth the weight, well you just waisted resources.

Read backpacking magazines and internet forums. Get on Reddit. They've got tons of great forums. Also, definitely use the search on this website. Check the forum on here dedicated to food, and the one on gear, and the one on work.

And after you've perused all the sources that are available to you, come back here or other forums (like Reddit) and ask more specific questions.

Good luck.
Thank you for the suggestion i never thought of panty hose in a pinch. I've tried to use reddit before and it just confused the hell out of me and I'm not even a boomer lol.

trashswag86

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion i never thought of panty hose in a pinch. I've tried to use reddit before and it just confused the hell out of me and I'm not even a boomer lol.

Try Reddit again. They've got a DIY gear forum on there, for example. I think it's called My Own Gear, or something like that...

Also, you said you're totally new to traveling? Be super weight conscious. Like, you might just do any experiment. Make up a pack of anything that weighs 25 lbs, and wear it around all day. Next, make one up that's 40 lb and wear it all day. My own goal is to have a base weight (not including food and water, that is) of 15-20 lbs.

Reaction score
[
Try Reddit again. They've got a DIY gear forum on there, for example. I think it's called My Own Gear, or something like that...

Also, you said you're totally new to traveling? Be super weight conscious. Like, you might just do any experiment. Make up a pack of anything that weighs 25 lbs, and wear it around all day. Next, make one up that's 40 lb and wear it all day. My own goal is to have a base weight (not including food and water, that is) of 15-20 lbs.
QUOTE="trashswag86, post: 302906, member: 24674"]

[/QUOTE]
Yes, well I kinda had to pack and skip town from my home city when ivwas younger due to poor choice of friends. But as far as doing it on my own accord then yea. I've got my pack down to about.35lbs with 3days worth of dry food and a little bit of savings to help replenish supplies as needed.

trashswag86

Reaction score
Honestly I'd encourage you to get your pack weight lighter. I mean at least you've got food in there, but water is heavy. A lighter pack will dramatically improve your quality of life. But it's up to you. At the very least, get an idea of how much water you'll need to pack between replenishings, fill your pack up and wear it for a day.
Good luck.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads