Stuck at a Farm Job need

beginnavagabond

Reaction score
I'm currently working on a farm for someone in exchange for room and board and I am starting to hate it. There's so much work to do and I find it impossible to have the motivation to do it. I was planning on trying to find a ride to a city because I have someone taking me to Colorado in July. There were three other people working here when I arrived and now I'm the only one here and all of the pressure is on me. I feel guilty for leaving but I just can't stand the work. Have any of you ever been in a situation like this. What should I do?

TheWindAndRain

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I think a lot of farm jobs, especially in the US just take advantage of travelers and people pleasers. If you arent getting your fair share out of it, pack up and hit the road, because there are plenty of places more generous and resectful of hard work. You have been traveling a while now, so trust your gut. Land owners can take care of themselves.

AaronOnTheRoad

Reaction score
I'm currently working on a farm for someone in exchange for room and board and I am starting to hate it. There's so much work to do and I find it impossible to have the motivation to do it. I was planning on trying to find a ride to a city because I have someone taking me to Colorado in July. There were three other people working here when I arrived and now I'm the only one here and all of the pressure is on me. I feel guilty for leaving but I just can't stand the work. Have any of you ever been in a situation like this. What should I do?
So, i have had simler experience. But i only stayed two weeks.

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
Go, get out, leave. Don't feel bad, you're a volunteer, you don't owe them anything, you can only work as hard as one person can work. I have done enough farm work/slavery (and yes I don't use that word lightly) to know that as soon as you get the feeling you need to leave then it's time, they'll find someone else. As said above there are good farm bosses out there so don't suffer a shitty one (if that's the case).

Reactions: beginnavagabond

beginnavagabond

Reaction score
Go, get out, leave. Don't feel bad, you're a volunteer, you don't owe them anything, you can only work as hard as one person can work. I have done enough farm work/slavery (and yes I don't use that word lightly) to know that as soon as you get the feeling you need to leave then it's time, they'll find someone else. As said above there are good farm bosses out there so don't suffer a shitty one (if that's the case).
Yeah it kind of feels like slavery. Idk how or why people do it. I've never really thought about workers being exploited if they get room and board but it amazes me how hard it is to live. I think I can get out, only problem is I'd have to get a ride with the farm owner because town is 26 miles away

beginnavagabond

Reaction score
I think a lot of farm jobs, especially in the US just take advantage of travelers and people pleasers. If you arent getting your fair share out of it, pack up and hit the road, because there are plenty of places more generous and resectful of hard work. You have been traveling a while now, so trust your gut. Land owners can take care of themselves.
I left and now I'm on my way to Denver or Boulder. So happy I left. The neighbors gave me a ride 26 miles to a bus station

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads