Stranded in Michigan

Margo

Reaction score
Hey, i really need help and any information would be appreciated. Im currently trying to get from michigan to california in the easyest way possible. Any information about hopping out or hitchhicking would be appertacted. Also, im fairly new at this so i need to know information about how to surive by squating or living outside, especially with the cold. Thanks.

Cristian

Reaction score
well if u make it down to San Diego area of Cali you'll be fine on sleeping outside.
basically anywhere in South Ca you'll be fine outside, it doesnt get that cold out here.
and i think the easiest way would be takin like a Greyhound, but thats kind of expensive. and if u hop out be careful, seeing that you've never done it before. just be smart about what you do, that would suck to get a felony for that shit.
Good luck on whatever u plan on doing and i know i can't help Much but if u have any questions just message me on here, and i'll help out as much as i can :)

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
Reactions: barefootinbabylon

barefootinbabylon

Reaction score
MI is not a fun place to get stranded in, unless you're in A2. Trust me, born and raised, and stuck, and re-stuck, and re-stuck here, time and again. :) And there's a whooolllee big country between MI and Cali, so yes, you need to figure out how to do this, before you get to the land of honey and nutz. :) Where in MI are you? That would be more helpful, to figure out where you are first...

Like Cristian said, hopping trains isn't always that easy (and is damn dangerous and illegal, if you don't know what you're doing - I've never done it myself, basically cuz I haven't found anyone to hop with yet). However, I know that there are shit-tons of trains in Chicago; it's a major hub to all points west, and I'm sure you could find more crusty/hoppin' kids down there that could point you in the right direction (as far as I know, there ARE a few trains that go directly to Cali from Chicago?) If you could Greydog it to Chi-town, you'd probably have better luck, hopping or hitchin...

Hitchhiking - now, that's a whole 'nuther story. Do you have a partner/person to go with you? I've hitched short distances by myself between (a couple states), but you never know what kind of whackos you'll meet on the road, girl... No matter how strong and determined you might be, it's ALWAYS good to have someone to go with, ESPECIALLY if it's your first time. I generally hitch the easy/'legal' way, which involves a lot of sitting at truck stops with a sign while practicing juggling, reading, writing, or talkin' story. You CAN actually go out and sit on a ramp, I suppose, but MI cops are generally DICKS, and would probably get dammmnn excited about seeing hitchhikers, since they're few and far between in these parts. It depends on where you are, to determine what route you're going to take... Hopefully, you're capable of looking at maps. :)

Anyways. I'm in Muskegon, shitty-ass little town on the west sydde. I highly doubt you're here. haha. But I have friends around the state, that might be able to at least give ya a floor to crash on, perhaps. Living outside = tarps are your best friend. Tarps preserve body heat just as (if not better) than sleeping bags. If you have both, get in sleeping bag, then roll up in tarp. Garbage bags work almost as well. It's getting warmer out, though, so you're in luck...

Anyways. Best of luck!! If you have any questions, or at located anywhere remotely near me, I'd be happy to hang out, maybe even catch out with you... I'm looking to get to Cali myself, but am in a strange, cluster-fucked famdamily situation a.t.m....

Reactions: Cristian

Elipses

Reaction score
I've been stuck in Jackson, MI the majority of my life. It's one of those black hole cities that a lot of people tend to waste their entire existence in. I really don't want to be one of those people. I'm tempted to hit the road pretty soon myself. Good luck.

barefootinbabylon

Reaction score
Ohh, Jackson... Yeah, the 'Hound would always give us a fairly thorough view of Jackson, that's for sure. I got the general idea: a black hole city, just like all the other black hole cities of nothingness that have quickly engulfed the Midwest... Shit ain't as bad as Gary, IN, though!! Haha... But yeah. Get out of MI. *nods emphatically*

GhostWithTheMost

Previously HoboSquirrell
Reaction score
Hey, i really need help and any information would be appreciated. Im currently trying to get from michigan to california in the easyest way possible. Any information about hopping out or hitchhicking would be appertacted. Also, im fairly new at this so i need to know information about how to surive by squating or living outside, especially with the cold. Thanks.

If you can get down to Southern Ohio, Hit me up...I am planning on making way out to Portland Oregon early next month..you can tag alone if you'd like.

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
Shit ain't as bad as Gary, IN, though!!
fuuuuuuuck Gary, IN! it is impossible for me to go anywhere in that place without getting harassed by some local who thinks hes the toughest shit ever. I guess my mere existence pisses those people off... anyway....
Black Hole cities. You should get outta that.

GhostWithTheMost

Previously HoboSquirrell
Reaction score
fuuuuuuuck Gary, IN! it is impossible for me to go anywhere in that place without getting harassed by some local who thinks hes the toughest shit ever. I guess my mere existence pisses those people off... anyway....
Black Hole cities. You should get outta that.

Makes a lot of sense, Gary, Indiana had the highest homicide rate in the US for a long time.

K

Kim Chee

If you are by yourself you should have no problem getting a ride from a trucker. Figure out the difference between company trucks and independent trucks and ask the drivers of the independent trucks if you can get a ride south or southwest. Your first ride may not get you there but you will get there eventually. Probably a pretty safe way for you to get there with minimal hassle. It would be safe to forget the trains/hitching for now and bum a ride to a truck stop. When you get to Oceanside, say "hi" to Cristian.

JoshWaits

Reaction score
Yeah it would help if you listen where in MI you are trying to leave. Plane tickets arent that terribly expensive, just start collecting those faygo cans/bottles. DET-LAX.
Battleground, Grand Rapids, Dearborn.... places to go to get on a train.

Don Z

Reaction score
I was born and raised 30minutes from Gary Indiana and all I can say about that pool of washed up bullshit is
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that... shit...

Isaiah54

Reaction score
that shit always confused me. I've never been to Gary but Indiana always seemed like a relatively under the radar state
LOL Indiana is kinda under the radar. But when gary steel mills employ 30-45000 people and then a couple deades later employs only 8 or 10,000 that leaves you with a lot of poor familys. ALSO gary is only 30 minutes from downtown chicago, give or take. Its a nightmare town, i worked there for the past 6 months and grew up 15 minutes away

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads