Website Updates StP will no longer be updated, but will continue on 'as-is'

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hey folks, just a quick message to let everyone know that I'm cancelling all future plans I've posted here for the StP website. The etsy store has been closed, and the donations have been disabled. The website will continue on in a kind of 'maintenance mode' where it will go on 'as-is' for the foreseeable future. This is only possible due to the work of @Brookeeeeeeeee and @eyes, who have set up web hosting for this community to use, so I am very grateful for their help and efforts to help maintain this website.

Just to reiterate, this doesn't mean the site is closing or going anywhere, just that it's going to stay as-is for a long as is reasonable. That kind of depends on how long the software holds up without updates, but that's likely to be several years.

For the time being, I've cancelled the update for the AGT v2 book, and anything else related to StP. Just to be clear, it's absolutely nothing personal, I'm just no longer involved in the traveler community, and it's kind of moved beyond me in some ways anyway. I'm simply making room for other projects in my life, while also trying to be as transparent with you all here as much as possible.

I'll still be stopping in to see what's going on maybe once or twice a week to do a little moderation, but I won't be all that active here anymore. Good luck to all of you and I hope StP remains a useful space for everyone.

0uncekifeian

Reaction score
I know I haven't been very active, I plan to travel, and I have looked forward to using this resource. I'm glad I got bandanas when they were first available! Still got one or two in the bag.
Matt, thank you for creating this space. I've not even needed it, but I see how much it is needed. You're a great person, good luck in all of your future endeavors.!

Sameer

Reaction score
Peace and happiness to you!
Everything is in flux and evolves and changes that's what life is about.

Reactions: roughdraft

eyes

prospective van-dweller who likes to build things
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
myco.systems
Hi everyone! I do also want to add that @Brookeeeeeeeee and I do still want to move forward with some of the ideas/changes that were outlined in this post once we have the capacity to give this community the attention it deserves. We have chatted with @Matt Derrick , and he is on board with us taking the reigns if we wanted to go ahead and move forward with the evolution of this community without his involvement. And, ofc, any large changes that are made to this site and community structure will be done so using a "trial" system to ensure that everyone is on board, and we will not move forward with any changes that the community does not approve of.

I will probably make a larger update post here in the next week or two, but I'd like to go ahead and share a few of my thoughts with everyone. I regret that @Brookeeeeeeeee and I haven't been as active as we'd like to be since we started managing the site's back-end, a result of us being pretty swamped with some important infrastructure projects here in Atlanta for some prominent activist orgs, as well as having to take various projects to cover our cost of living.

To help with this, I am considering the idea of reopening the donations panel as well as revamping the merch store. I think if we can get a little bit of income from this site to cover some of our cost-of-living (which is pretty low tbh), it would do a lot to help us dedicate more time and effort towards the improvement and evolution of StP.

And lastly, as a personal update, I want to share with everyone that @Brookeeeeeeeee and I's van project is coming along wonderfully, we'll be joining all y'all on the road sometime in the near future! As that comes along I am very excited to post updates here to StP and get a bit more integrated with the community here on a personal level :)

-eyes

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads