Seeking Help - StP HQ / Punk Rock RV Park | Page 6 | Squat the Planet

Seeking Help StP HQ / Punk Rock RV Park

Snott Kennedy

Reaction score
In my experience the cheapest land in America is in dying cities and towns. Of which there are many here in the rust belt. Lots of towns have land banks or realty divisions to sell city-ownwd property, which will be far below market price (land prices are high right now). I bought my first house for $500 and owned it communally with people, got sick of that, so bought my current house for $3000. However, being in a city means you will be subject to higher taxes, regulations and crime. That said, some towns are so empty these days there might not be a thief or a city inspector around to notice your stuff. Take Weirton WV 913 4th St · 913 4th St, Weirton, WV 26062 - https://maps.app.goo.gl/Znc3kBtTwn23bXRs7 or E St Louis IL
1115 Morgan St

Here are some towns--all affordable and with rail traffic--I would consider if it were my project : E Stl, Gary IN, Weirton, Wheeling!, Hinton WV, McKeesport, Johnstown, Altoona PA, Eastern Ohio (Canton, Akron, Youngstown)?? , Cumberland MD.
I don't know what the status is now but I almost bought a hardware store with an apartment upstairs and a garage to the side in Republic, MI for $12,000 several years ago. I ended up backing out--maybe they're still interested in selling.
KCMO definitely has a great punk scene but it's also definitely, at least relative to here, a functioning city with rising real estate prices and humans everywhere. Morgantown seemed to me like a typical college town. Few or no trains and pretty clean cut. I think a "traveller RV park" might stick out in a town like that don't you :) ?

Maybe just a side note but I couldn't help but notice trains can go pretty slow on their way to the top and the scenery is great ;) Summit of the Alleghenies · 213 Tower Rd, Meyersdale, PA 15552 - https://maps.app.goo.gl/r68Mo6TkPohSHGtQ9

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
In my experience the cheapest land in America is in dying cities and towns. Of which there are many here in the rust belt. Lots of towns have land banks or realty divisions to sell city-ownwd property, which will be far below market price (land prices are high right now). I bought my first house for $500 and owned it communally with people, got sick of that, so bought my current house for $3000. However, being in a city means you will be subject to higher taxes, regulations and crime. That said, some towns are so empty these days there might not be a thief or a city inspector around to notice your stuff. Take Weirton WV 913 4th St · 913 4th St, Weirton, WV 26062 - https://maps.app.goo.gl/Znc3kBtTwn23bXRs7 or E St Louis IL
1115 Morgan St

Here are some towns--all affordable and with rail traffic--I would consider if it were my project : E Stl, Gary IN, Weirton, Wheeling!, Hinton WV, McKeesport, Johnstown, Altoona PA, Eastern Ohio (Canton, Akron, Youngstown)?? , Cumberland MD.
I don't know what the status is now but I almost bought a hardware store with an apartment upstairs and a garage to the side in Republic, MI for $12,000 several years ago. I ended up backing out--maybe they're still interested in selling.
KCMO definitely has a great punk scene but it's also definitely, at least relative to here, a functioning city with rising real estate prices and humans everywhere. Morgantown seemed to me like a typical college town. Few or no trains and pretty clean cut. I think a "traveller RV park" might stick out in a town like that don't you :) ?

Maybe just a side note but I couldn't help but notice trains can go pretty slow on their way to the top and the scenery is great ;) Summit of the Alleghenies · 213 Tower Rd, Meyersdale, PA 15552 - https://maps.app.goo.gl/r68Mo6TkPohSHGtQ9
Those are some great suggestions, and I wouldn't personally mind living in the rust belt or even better, Michigan. The point I think we've been stuck on so far is finding a location, and having extremely limited means to procure said location. Personally, I'm not quite ready to settle down anywhere yet, but that could change if I find the 'right spot' for this kind of project. I'm going to add your suggestions as places to research, and possibly visit during my travels to see first hand if they would fit the bill.

If you have more suggestions on any part of the process involved for finding/purchasing land for this project I'd love to hear them.

Reactions: hillstreetbill

ERSK

Reaction score
There is cheap land south of Albuquerque near Belen bordering the National Forest. $500/acre and no covenants or restrictions. Valencia County is auctioning land for back taxes too so it could be even cheaper. Belen is a major railroad hub, Abq is close enough for a commute and has a growing film industry. Netflix is investing $1 billion and there are many contract jobs for extras. Down side is getting utilities and water, windy and dust storms in spring. Abq has issues with crime but many people love it there. Summer and winter are usually mild. New Mexico has some really beautiful country for hiking, camping and exploring. View attachment 54349
I like this idea, I'm working my way down this thread and coming upon your suggestion made me think of the sandbag houses they build in permaculture communities in the south west. Easy enough to build and maintain plus they look really cool. Swap coolers are a thing there from it being low humidity and rocketstoves use minimal fuel but provide enough heat and cooking for winters. Also I've always wanted to build one of these lol
imma continue reading but you have my vote

@Matt Derrick made it to the end of the thread and just wanted to let you know that I would be all in for this! I love the desert but also all the idea mentioned as far as location go I would be down for and honestly don't care where.

Giving my current living situation I would be able to commit 100% with anything needed for this project and I know I've created threads recently about boats and sailing. This out ways those desires and I also really love everything @jimi and @NewMexicoJim have contributed thus far. Cool ideas, wish it was happening now so I could just go there and TCB but also I understand....

Last edited:
Reactions: ZoGeistboi and jimi

Caveman118

Reaction score
I recently bought land in Tres Piedras and it's looking like buddy will have to retire from travel life so I'll be setting up roots there as long as buddy is around. I would be willing to help build/run something like this. Even could host but for now I only have one acre, I plan on buying up surrounding plots and expanding. Another thought is I have a friend in to that's selling 5 acres for 8 grand. Other potential bonus is that it's legal or at least common practice to dig outhouse. Furthermore you can gain access to the community well for a one time payment of 400$. Something to consider. Matt feel free to hit me up for more info

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
i mean im all in. got tools the know how to use them and a bus to transport them. got a lot of input once thing get going... also this may help determine where i buy my next plot... was looking at arizona but seeing rustbelt being brought up i remembered my brother almost bought a house for $300 dollars once... the last 3 tenants were murdered lmao. also this thread reminds me of a community i read about, basically a bunch of punks tried buyin up an old subdivision and making an hoa thing. i forget the name and lost track of it years ago. it was a cool dig tho.

cocolee1214

Reaction score
i know our human nature is to look at something like this and instantly think of all the things that could go wrong, but all i can ask is that people reading this try to look at it the opposite way and accept that i HAVE thought of just about everything that could go wrong and at least have a general idea as to how to mitigate it; just because i haven't posted it here yet doesn't mean i don't 'have a plan for that'.

so yeah, let's assume we have the majority of problems worked out and approach this from a more positive view and discuss how to make this all work?
Almost anywhere in southern indiana has massive potential research Madison Indiana it’s a small river town on the ohio

Reactions: RoadFlower33

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads