Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
So this thread is for discussing an idea I've had for many years now, that I would like to share with the community and get some input on.

This thread is for discussing an extension of the Squat the Planet website into real life by starting a homebase/headquarters for the StP community in the form of a physical location with full time live-in residents, as well as accommodating a rotating cast of visiting travelers.

The location would take the form of a plot of land that would be turned into a residence while also giving a space for other projects. The residence portion would take the form of what could be best described as an RV park, where residents long term and short term alike could come and go as they please between travels. There would also be more permanent structures in place, such as teepees, tents, yurts, and possibly more advanced alternative building structures like shipping container houses, etc.

Amenities would include shore/house power, potable water, public showers, a travel-specific library, mail boxes, and others.

The space would also be designed to have an open performance area/stage, campfire hangout spots, a bar for special events, and other areas such as gardens and a blacksmith shop. Other ideas are possible based on what the residents want to pursue.

Apologies for the vagueness at this point, but location, monetary and social logistics are all things that will need to be discussed in this thread, and as we work things out, i will update this first post with the latest information that is decided upon; eventually, the goal here is to have an exact outline of the project and what we hope to achieve and why.

At this point though, I just want to get the discussion started so feel free to post your input, concerns, and ideas for how we can make this a reality.

@Staff @VikingAdventurer @Cornelius Vango

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
i would like to say that in terms of location, i personally would like to find a place that isn't too remote and not too difficult for other travelers to get to. in addition, i'd like to be somewhere it isn't impossible to find work, so residents can have jobs if they want to while living there, either to save up for the next leg of travel or finance projects in the space.

unfortunately i have yet to visit the Black Butte Center for Railroad Culture, but i imagine that our space might be a StP version of that?

OP
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
this might be a complete fantasy, and i don't know how to find out who owns this land, but i used to bike by this plot of land every day and think it was a perfect location for such a thing:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/A...d9b464bd469d57a!8m2!3d30.267153!4d-97.7430608

first off it's in austin, texas, which i know texas isn't everyone's favorite place, but it certainly is easy to get work, the weather is great, its far from neighborhoods (to avoid noise complaints) and as a bonus is literally right next to the railroad tracks. there's also a lot of nature and city life all in a few minutes bike ride away.

if anyone has any ideas on how to find out who owns it or how much it costs, that would definitely be useful.

Last edited:
Threads
Current Location
somewhere
if you can find the exact address, you could probably search it up and get the phone number of the person. if you talk to them, you might find out even more info than just cost/ if it is for sale.

roughdraft

Vagabond
Lifetime Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Hullinco, Chile
fuckin awesome if i can, one day, make myself useful on this front I'll get back to you

i feel like nw arkansas may be the spot but all i got is a hunch

OP
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
fuckin awesome if i can, one day, make myself useful on this front I'll get back to you

i feel like nw arkansas may be the spot but all i got is a hunch
yeah, i feel like the midwest would be a good possibility as well. kinda curious about kcmo, but it would need some further investigation.

Threads
Current Location
Milwaukee Wisconsin
Website
www.youtube.com
Good idea. I was thinking of purchasing land somewhere in southern Colorado or New Mexico for a project like this. It's just the funds to do it or pool together with other people and be co-owners? It's a good idea Matt!

roughdraft

Vagabond
Lifetime Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Hullinco, Chile
Good idea. I was thinking of purchasing land somewhere in southern Colorado or New Mexico for a project like this. It's just the funds to do it or pool together with other people and be co-owners? It's a good idea Matt!
ive been thinking about moving to Pueblo

do you know this area?

OP
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
sorry, i should have touched on that in the OP (i'll updated it soon), but yeah, the idea would be that the land would be owned under a trust with a board of directors essentially, so no one person owns the land. it would definitely be owned and run collectively.

in terms of getting it paid for, i'm open to ideas, but my main focus might theoretically be a kickstarter of some kind, where we could sell weekend visits/parties at the land to raise money for it. we did this when i created an indigogo campaign for east jesus and it did pretty well.

Threads
Current Location
oregon
You have to find out what county its in and thru the county website, theres usually a map system with the parcel #'s... If you can figure out the parcel #, you'll find out who owns it, what their mailing address is, and how much the property taxes are...

What you need, is the name of the county and search google for tax search for that county and it will bring you to the county assesors website. Thats where you can find the map that shows the parcel # for every parcel in the county.... Then do a tax search with that parcel # and find who owns it.

The way to find out who own land is thru a tax search.

Threads
Current Location
yard1
this might be a complete fantasy, and i don't know how to find out who owns this land, but i used to bike by this plot of land every day and think it was a perfect location for such a thing:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/A...d9b464bd469d57a!8m2!3d30.267153!4d-97.7430608
According to street view the address is 1000 Jain Ln Austin, Texas.

Just looking around I would say the power company might own that land. You'll notice the barb wire fence goes down the street and around the big power line trestles.

OP
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
According to street view the address is 1000 Jain Ln Austin, Texas.

Just looking around I would say the power company might own that land. You'll notice the barb wire fence goes down the street and around the big power line trestles.
yeah i was looking at it today with a website called property shark or something like that and interestingly enough that triangle is zoned as a park. there are several other cool spots following the tracks to the west that are either unknown or public utility.

Threads
Current Location
Daytona
ive been thinking about moving to Pueblo

do you know this area?
In my opinion Pueblo is awful, not sure what you mean by “move” there but if it means start a new life there with a place and a job then you may regret it but that’s just me

Yeeeeaaaa southern Colorado has great land for cheap, steer clear of Costilla County though their getting strict on the off grid shit. Pm me if you want I’m tryna blow some money from last season on good land around here soon