Stencil graffiti - ideas: reality

acrata4ever

Reaction score
this may sound like a "wtf?fuck you" topic
but i've been trying to make a crass shirt, diy, for like a month, but never got around to it.
i just thought it was better than paying 20-35 fucking bucks.
if i can't make it, then i won't have any of that at all then.
but sucky news, i don't even know the basics of stencil thingys, and i thought if i were to post this topic anywhere, i figured it'd be here.
anyone, knows of any way?
just tracing, cutting, spraying?
i don't know if im askin for help or not, but i thought i just say that.

i trace right off a flat screen with a fine tip marker. i use no printer. i use manilla folders i find in dumpsters (never throw this shit out) thats for graffitti and wood. for t shirts i use plastic from jerry cans like the #2 plastic that french fry oil comes in and car wash. or i use shirt box plastic or the clear plastic thats on big catering cakes. again just masking tape to a flat screen and trace. cut it out with an exacto i use plywood but a phone book works too. dont press too hard you may have to cut twice around sharp turns. at the craft store they sell stencil stick or you can apply tacky glue with a foam roller. let it dry. i then place a peice of ceiling light plastic between the shirt so it doesnt bleed through cardboard will also work. i use elastomeric fabric paint its like a dollar at the craft store. also despite these are small inexpensive items shop lifting is a crime so dont forget to pay for it. oh and i forgot you have to wash a new t shirt it has a type of plastic coating on it so wash the shirt before you print it. place the stencil with the stickum on the shirt flatly. then take a peice of heavy paper and cover it. and squeegee it down with a credit card or similar device so the glue is sticking well and it wont bleed. take a plastic lid or sumn and put a decent sized blob of paint on it. then take a foam brush and pat the stencil filling in. it will require at least two coats 3 is better. this only works on a dark paint on a light shirt. if you want white paint on a black shirt again use the white fabric paint but thicken it with white artists acyrlic paint. you may need more than 3 coats for this. the advantage of doing this is a shirt will last you 5 years. the shirt will go threadbare before the design does. and unlike a silkscreen it wont crack and peel if you put it in a dryer. reply with any questions i will talk you though this.

• Sad
Reactions: Rob Nothing

DaisyDoom

Reaction score
To stencil shirts nicely use freezer paper for the stencil and iron the waxy side to the clothing. Its good for tiny pieces because if it rips you can jut iron it in place. I'm sure you could get pretty damn creative with the freezer paper too.
For cheap but decent fabric paint you can use regular acrylic mixed with fabric medium but I don't know how well it works compared to other fabric paint.

dprogram

Reaction score
Stencilrevolution.com helped me a lot on my technique and given me great ideas. The best stencils I have done were aided by the use of photoshop and if you don't have photoshop you can go to download.com for free software that is very similar. Practice and you'll get it down to a science.

• Useful
Reactions: Rob Nothing

Rob Nothing

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Been thinking about making a stencil out of this but not a photoshop wizard and not sure how I would incorporate the rendering of the arms (and hands) into the stencil. Any artists here wanna play around w the image and come up with something you like, give me a downscale sample of it , or a slice, and I will pay you for a 1:1 if I like it too.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/13/6c/17/136c175655c5d50ebdb53f4e4211151f.jpg

Last edited:
E

etpyh

How many colours? Just black and white or more?
I made you two quick versions, bridges are not considered. Here are also two stencils I did around five years ago.
stencil3.jpg

Attachments

• stencil.jpg
    stencil.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 233
  • stencil2.jpg
    stencil2.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 266

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads