stealth fire advice? | Squat the Planet

stealth fire advice?

The Hiker

Reaction score
So I almost had to camp out on the way home but I got lucky with the rides, but my plan was to wander into some dense woods a ways and have a fire for the night. What advice do you have for keeping a fire undetected at night?

Thor and Broomhilda

Dirty Kid king
Reaction score
So I almost had to camp out on the way home but I got lucky with the rides, but my plan was to wander into some dense woods a ways and have a fire for the night. What advice do you have for keeping a fire undetected at night?
Small fire, bigger isn't better. No wet sticks or green leaves they create smoke. Dig a 6 inch hole a foot in diameter line it with rocks.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Just to add:

-some fuels create more smoke than others. The more resinous the fuel, the more smoke. The harder the wood, usually, it will create less smoke.

-grass creates less smoke than pine needles

-the more things around you for the light of the fire to reflect off of, the more people will see you from a distance

-ALWAYS clear the area around your fire of fuel. I have seen this go wrong in homebum camps SO many times. You dont want to be the asshole who starts a 50,000 acre forest fire....like the assholes around Santa Barbra this year.

happythoughts123

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
If you're up in some woods several hundred feet from a road or whatever, its pretty unlikely that anyone will know. Don't be paranoid.

Antlered

Reaction score
If you've the materials, I've used alcohol stoves for this reason. A very dull blue flame that's nearly invisible by day, hard to see at night. Methanol/HEET is almost scentless, and doesn't make your stuff stink like white gas if spilled on it. With a cleverly built shield that isn't reflective, it's likely as stealth as it gets.

Reactions: Coywolf

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads