Starting a collective | Squat the Planet

Starting a collective

happyearthhomes

Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
Leaving Slab City in 30 days. Unsure of destination. Thinking about heading up to Wyoming to start an off-grid collective but having just enjoyed a California winter not so sure. Very sure I don't want to be in the desert during summer, so I am looking for some input on good climates and favorable locations to go off-grid. I will only purchase land; not willing to squat it. I have some really big ideas and can only do them on owned land. My wife and I have been working on and staying at a squat in the Slabs and we have some start up cash to buy land and materials. We need to do an owner finance land purchase for any thing more than 5 acres and we definitely want more -- hopefully 40 or so in order to qualify for agricultural taxes. We are wanting to create a community for outside thinkers and tinkerers using modern tech and eco-minded building strategies. We would build dwellings and communal buildings using recycled materials and off-beat methods. We would parcel out the property for private residences and communal uses, permaculture, art, preservation, and other future concerns.

barefootinbabylon

Reaction score
We need to do an owner finance land purchase for any thing more than 5 acres and we definitely want more -- hopefully 40 or so in order to qualify for agricultural taxes.

Ebay, as a matter of fact, has a vast number of owner-financed properties... most are located in bum-fuck nowhere of AZ or Southern Cali, but there was one on there in Christmas Valley, OR that was particularly intriguing.

It's definitely a big decision, and being indecisive isn't necessarily a bad thing! You should def. go check out properties in person before you invest in anything...

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
have you checked out Oregon or Washington? Colorado would be cool but mountain winters would suck ass. What kind of environment are you thinking? Desert would be pretty cool, though not so much if you want a garden. There's some ranches around where I'm staying, Kinney County, TX. http://www.landwatch.com/Texas_land_for_sale/Kinney_County there's some listings for ya.

happyearthhomes

Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
Thanx Neo checked out many places just having a hard time coming to a decision just met a guy yesterday that reaffirmed my Wyoming homestead desires by telling me he could get me work at a gas line company there

happyearthhomes

Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
I am also a mason journeyman level plan on doing alot of related works on the new property sandbag walls 12in rockface piers and a bond beamcourse over it all to hold roofing joices and tie the whole structure together. also lots of stone work and footings to be done

daveycrockett

Reaction score
i have been building and maintaining clay tennis courts and asphalt courts for 16 yrs now driveways blockwork fencing retaining walls im sure i could help somehow basically worked for the same person for along time and did side stuff over the years its what i do

happyearthhomes

Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
Ya well I am not looking for people to put up their money unless they want to we are capable of doing this financially alone just looking for people that can support their own bad habits(pot cigs booze)
we would collectively eat and work and provide direction for the main support structures of the location

K

Kim Chee

...so I am looking for some input on good climates and favorable locations to go off-grid. I will only purchase land; not willing to squat it.

You can grow food 9+ months of the year in Hawaii. The weather there is fairly nice the entire year. There is much rainfall in Puna and many homes use catchment water which is often abundant.
Lava rocks are often used by stone masons to build walls. Real estate prices decrease with your proximity to Kilauea volcano. I'm not trying to sell you on Hawaii, but it is where I'd like to purchase
land if I had the means. Hawaii is all about off grid. Bring your bermudas and flip flops, brah.
Kilauea.gif

about me: I'm not a lazy man and I know how to farm food.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads