Start a collective on a mining claim?

hobotrucker

Reaction score
I'd be interested in learning more of these endeavors should any of you guys pursue them. I was a coal miner for 3 years and have a general knowledge with skill set of what entails the process. I have always been interested in gems and diamonds. Have any of you ever stopped by the Crater Of Diamonds in Arkansas by the way?

Rob Nothing

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
yeah, mining. like panning for gold and digging up silver mining is still a real thing. I talked to this kid that happened to be from where I went to highschool and he was telling me about his mining experiences in oregon and in washington. it's easy attaining a license, apparently, and you really do make money.

treatment

Reaction score
I was thinking of minimally invasive, blah blah, ecologically minded, blah blah...unless we start finding huge ass nuggets, then we can get a bulldozer in there, do some hydraulic mining and whatever:D

"minimally invasive... huge ass nuggets..then..bulldozer..mining..whatever"

Woah there..

Jokes aside, that sounds pretty cool. Especially if the living situation could be finagled correctly, you could make a pretty alright setup out of a claim. Especially somewhere that building materials would be relatively available to be scrapped from the floor of the earth.
Sort of related, I've been looking into getting a job in the mines in western PA, seems like a decent opportunity to work my dick off for a few years and make out like a king.

Raging Bird

Reaction score
Website
www.ragingbirdofyouth.tumblr.com
I've got an aunt who does this for a living. Pretty sure she gets shale or some other rock, nothing fancy like gold or silver. If I recall, there was also an old head on the board who owned something out west. Shoestring, HogheadBob, someone like that. Maybe a search for "mineral rights" would turn it up.

Durp

Reaction score
Be careful with water. I was looking into this, and a lot of the claims I looked at seemed good until the soil core samples came back from my buddy and his Universities soil lab. A lot of those places are loaded with nasty nasty stuff like mercury, lithium, arsenic, lead ect. make sure you have a soil test done before buying anything. I would hate to see someone accidentally poison themselves, or even worse, children.

Reactions: Raging Bird

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads