Squat offered/help needed in South Dakota (not too far off 12 or 212 E/W)

binhouse

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've got a squat on my family farm in South Dakota. I moved out here to build a house and start a fruit farm, hoping that once it was starting to get awesome out here, people would come join me in a communal living situation. Then my autoimmune disease went crazy, I ran out of money, my house is only halfway done, and now my body sucks lol. I'm not too worried about the fruit farm anymore as I've found another income source that works with my ability level, but it's a great place to garden and live away from civilization. Probably you only want to be here when it's warm, but if you have a good setup, come whenever I guess. If you're only prepared to camp in warm weather, May through September.

I'm super broke rn, I can't feed you, but you can stay here for free and use my internet and electricity. It's actually possible that by the time summer comes around, I could feed you, or even a few of you if the stars align. I will update this thread if that happens. I don't have running water yet but I did just get permission to haul it from the water tower 4 miles away, so building some hauling infrastructure and a shower is going to be one of the things we'll work on. Some tanks, a pump, water lines, building the actual shower, that kind of thing. Right now I shower in town. I strongly suggest you have a camper or a van or at least a tent or something. I have sheltered places and outbuildings for you to set up in outside. I spent three summers in a tent before I built my house. I'm one of those people who needs their nest so I need my house to myself. It's pretty small anyway, it would kinda suck to share.

The other main project will be cleaning up the shithole of a mess that accumulated when #1 my uncle left a ton of shit here 15 years ago and #2 the last 2 years when I was super sick. There's just a lot of trash to haul away, and a little bit of like vacuuming and stuff. Between my disease and my medication I'm super fatigued and have a hard time using my hands too much, plus I can't carry more than fifteen pounds due to mega damage in my spine. Nothing we're doing is going to be all that hard.

It's not actually that bad compared to a lot of places I've seen, it's only cluttered, not disgusting. As far as crust punks and dirty hippies go, this place is clean and organized. But it's still kind of embarassing, so I'm not going to post any pictures publicly. If you want to see what you would be working with, join me on discord or signal messenger and I'll show you on video. It would be a good chance for us to get to talk some more and see if we would be a good fit. I think I did post a few pics of my garden in another thread a couple years back if you know how to dig here.

I think the standard on Workaway is 25 hours a week for like an actual decent place to stay, and food, neither of which I am offering right now, so, idk, what do you think is fair? 10 hours? I'm open. With my fatigue I'm not exactly the energizer bunny myself anyway.

A bit about me, I smoke a lot of flower, my favorite politician is Vermin Supreme, and I believe that pineapple does belong on pizza.

Last edited:
Reactions: zorakjones

lemkowidmak

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer. I actually just applied to public housing in south dakota because I heard its one of the fastest places to get it. I might be interested to help you out. I have an immune system disorder, Mast Cell Activation Syndrome which my body makes too much IgE and other forms of immunoglobin and I am unable to do a lot of things that squatting requires. But if my situation ends up with me unhoused, I'd be potentially down to make it 2 immune compromised people struggling to get by instead of just 1 in the future but I can't drive and I have to get injections every 3 weeks at some point to stop the condition from progressing. My MCAS makes me allergic to basically everything so I can't do a lot of fruit but I would be happy to help in other parts of the garden. Good luck in your search for help!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads