Soon to be Vagabond!

RinRose

Reaction score
Website
buddhaburgers16.tumblr.com
Hello all! just wanted to introduce myself my names Katherine but my vagabond name is Rin ;)
I have had a passion for adventure my whole life and have been wanting this lifestyle since i was 16. I think after my birthday in march im finally going to start. I still have a lot to decide so any advice or opinions is much appreciated! Here is some of my thoughts:

Bring my car or really rough it (hitchhike,trainspotting etc) Im sure it would be much easier and safer with my car . Although i almost dont want to bring it for that exact reason. I kind of really want to rough it. Would this be a bad idea being a first time traveler?

I also have a dog about corgi size very energetic. I would love to bring him with me but i do worry for his safety. Im also concerned about incidents where i may be un able to bring a pet with me.

Im also thinking of bringing my laptop and DSLR camera. I want to try to keep a travel blog and perhaps even make money thru my photography. Would this be a decent idea or just too much hassel?

Lastly not sure what to tell my family. Im 23 so they cant really stop me but I know they will do everything they can to if they new exactly what i was planning. What should i tell them? should i even tell them or should i just leave with a note behind.

Well thats all i can think of at the moment. I am also open to meeting up and traveling with some buddies so please dont be afraid to chat with me! Im very friendly, open minded, artistic and stay pretty positive. Thanks dearies :)

Reactions: Odin and Kal

coffee

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
hey welcome im 23 had a car and loved it but it broke down on me and i left it now im on foot which i love to but keep the car for now and later on if you decide you dont like it sell it or put it in storage as for the parents it just all depends my family supports the way i live but they still fear for me especially now im on foot i just keep them posted here and there so they dont worry as much um i kinda of just left and told them while i was on the road and they said ok and be safe. now as for the dog thats up to you i would take him its added protection and if you take the car def take laptop i recently drooped my laptop and got a tablet bc its smaller and not as heavy but this all just my open ion you have to decide what you want to do

Reactions: Odin, Kal and Tude

DonnyDerelict

Reaction score
Welcome! And definitely do your homework on the pros and cons of traveling with a dog. One thing I've heard and seen repeatedly is that if you're bringing a dog, it better be damn well behaved and socialized. If your dog is making a bunch of noise in a yard, it could mean the difference between you going to jail and your dog going to the pound and potentially euthanized.. Trains are also loud as fuck and can really mess with a dog's hearing. Going into stores with a dog... Cracking a squat with a dog... Most squats I've been to are littered with dirty rigs, and dogs don't wear boots. There are things I never even though of til I started looking into bringing a dog myself. I think you'll really benefit from lurking the "furry companions" section.

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
To be honest I don't think your romantic views of the travelling life are quite on par with the reality of it. My advice would be to take a short trip and see how that goes before you commit to anything more permanent. Besides it sounds like you have enough tying you down psychologically, otherwise you would just go.

xOo

Reaction score
I traveled last summer with my laptop and dslr and it's kinda scary. I dunno about you but for me it was at least a $5k investment that could be gone at any moment. It hindered my trip in ways because I was always trying to isolate myself from potential shitty situations (when I was by myself). I had the same idea of documenting, and posting/selling prints along the way. I think you'd be better off with just the camera, or even shooting the whole thing on film. Chances are people wont bother stealing a film camera compared to an expensive looking dslr. Also keeping your pack dry is a major concern with electronics.

Also what was mentioned above, do a lot of research it sounds like your pretty out of your element. If I were you, I'd start with a trip in your car first. You can always bring some camping type supplies along and you could ditch the car for a few days and rough it and see what you think. As for your dog.. I have no advice for that. Personally I wouldn't bring an animal traveling. Cheers hope everything mentioned helps and you find what you're looking for.

• Useful
Reactions: DonnyDerelict

scrutable

Reaction score
Hello all! just wanted to introduce myself my names Katherine but my vagabond name is Rin ;)
I have had a passion for adventure my whole life and have been wanting this lifestyle since i was 16. I think after my birthday in march im finally going to start. I still have a lot to decide so any advice or opinions is much appreciated! Here is some of my thoughts:

Bring my car or really rough it (hitchhike,trainspotting etc) Im sure it would be much easier and safer with my car . Although i almost dont want to bring it for that exact reason. I kind of really want to rough it. Would this be a bad idea being a first time traveler?

I also have a dog about corgi size very energetic. I would love to bring him with me but i do worry for his safety. Im also concerned about incidents where i may be un able to bring a pet with me.

Im also thinking of bringing my laptop and DSLR camera. I want to try to keep a travel blog and perhaps even make money thru my photography. Would this be a decent idea or just too much hassel?

Lastly not sure what to tell my family. Im 23 so they cant really stop me but I know they will do everything they can to if they new exactly what i was planning. What should i tell them? should i even tell them or should i just leave with a note behind.

Well thats all i can think of at the moment. I am also open to meeting up and traveling with some buddies so please dont be afraid to chat with me! Im very friendly, open minded, artistic and stay pretty positive. Thanks dearies :)
Well dearie, a car is pretty convenient, you always have somewhere to sleep, can always charge phones etc, can carry water for washing and a bucket to wash in. Travelling without a car brings a lot more freedom and a lot more discomfit. Only you can really answer that one, what style of travel tempts you the most?
Dogs are good protection, they can warn you when someones around that you can't see, even if they're not very big. They can be inconvenient at times but it all equals out.
I'd try and go for a large screen smartphone or "phablet" instead of a laptop. Small and light, low electricity needs, easy to hide etc.
As for a good camera, if that's your thing then you need one I guess, though I'd use libraries and friends computers to play with photos and travel with a smartphone for your blog and other computer needs.
You can make money from photography but so many people are keen on doing that so it's hard to make real money from it, like writing, or any art really. I think you should try but don't expect to make a wage from it.

Last edited:
  • Useful

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Very cool intro - and even better the information that was posted by other forumite members. :) Cool people here!

Reactions: Kal

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
A dslr camera (including perhaps one or two extra lenses - slr doesn't make much sense with only one lens IMHO) could be quite bulky, especially if you only have a backpack with you and no car. Perhaps a small pocket camera (or even your smartphone's camera) may be enough for what you need?
When it comes to a notebook, I'd try to get a small, business class notebook used. You most probably don't need some high performance machine. An old X-series Thinkpad (for example) for about $80-150 should do it. Put Linux on it (for free) and encrypt the hard drive. Do backups to USB-storages regularly. Then, if it's lost or stolen it's only a $100 loss and nobody else can access your files or read your e-mail.

Dogs? I like dogs and perhaps it's a good idea to have a dog with you, especially as a woman. But you must be willing to care for your dog always, which may be completely different than what you experience at home.
You could end up spending your last money for dog food while asking for left overs or dumpster dive for yourself. (Food in general is easier to come by than dog food).
Your dog shouldn't suffer cause you can't afford a vet in case. So perhaps get a kind of insurance, if possible.
If you're alone with your dog you can't just easily walk into a Starbucks, McDonald's or even library to charge your phone or use the rest rooms.
Some means of transportation are off limits, like coaches/buses - mostly no pets allowed. It could be harder to hitch, especially with a larger dog.

Said that, many people travel with dogs, so for them obviously the pros beat the cons. And there a ways around some restrictions, like a service dog vest/card. There are quite a few articles/postings about that topic here, try to search ...

Cheers!

CelticWanderer

Reaction score
Tell your parents. Defiantly tell your parents. I dunno bout that laptop, i feel like that could get ganked or broken pretty easily. Libarires are in just about everytown and you can run your blog from there. Defiantly bring the camera, you never know. I met a guy named Paco in OKC. He had me get into the top floor of a library and take pics of a mural across the street for his blog. Made an easy 20 bucks off that. Plus another 10 for getting a nice shot of the super moon that year.
I think for your first time out, leave the pup at home and get a good feel for what you'll have to put your furry friend through. Then once you get a handle on it all, take your dog out. The dog doesn't have a choice to go, you made it. So make sure you know what your doing before you put the pup in a situation like that.

RinRose

Reaction score
Website
Welcome! And definitely do your homework on the pros and cons of traveling with a dog. One thing I've heard and seen repeatedly is that if you're bringing a dog, it better be damn well behaved and socialized. If your dog is making a bunch of noise in a yard, it could mean the difference between you going to jail and your dog going to the pound and potentially euthanized.. Trains are also loud as fuck and can really mess with a dog's hearing. Going into stores with a dog... Cracking a squat with a dog... Most squats I've been to are littered with dirty rigs, and dogs don't wear boots. There are things I never even though of til I started looking into bringing a dog myself. I think you'll really benefit from lurking the "furry companions" section.

Thanks i will definitely look into that section. He is decently behaved, however hes got border collie in him so he has a ton of energy and has been known to just run off. He wines a lot for attention and exercise and has gotten a little agressive. The thing is most of those issues has to do with him not getting the right amount of
exercise. So i thought traveling might actually do him some good but im still id worry about him and would be devestated if i lost him. Thanks again for the advice ill check the section out!

RinRose

Reaction score
Website
Tell your parents. Defiantly tell your parents. I dunno bout that laptop, i feel like that could get ganked or broken pretty easily. Libarires are in just about everytown and you can run your blog from there. Defiantly bring the camera, you never know. I met a guy named Paco in OKC. He had me get into the top floor of a library and take pics of a mural across the street for his blog. Made an easy 20 bucks off that. Plus another 10 for getting a nice shot of the super moon that year.
I think for your first time out, leave the pup at home and get a good feel for what you'll have to put your furry friend through. Then once you get a handle on it all, take your dog out. The dog doesn't have a choice to go, you made it. So make sure you know what your doing before you put the pup in a situation like that.

I think all give them part of the story . Like im going hiking with friends and later on tell them my plan because they may not let me leave if they knew. Yea good point im sure i can hook my camera up to the computers in libraries. Thats awesome Ill most definitely bring it if im bringing my car and i think i will for my first trip. Also agree with your opinion on my dog. Thanks so much i really appreciate it.

RinRose

Reaction score
Website
A dslr camera (including perhaps one or two extra lenses - slr doesn't make much sense with only one lens IMHO) could be quite bulky, especially if you only have a backpack with you and no car. Perhaps a small pocket camera (or even your smartphone's camera) may be enough for what you need?
When it comes to a notebook, I'd try to get a small, business class notebook used. You most probably don't need some high performance machine. An old X-series Thinkpad (for example) for about $80-150 should do it. Put Linux on it (for free) and encrypt the hard drive. Do backups to USB-storages regularly. Then, if it's lost or stolen it's only a $100 loss and nobody else can access your files or read your e-mail.

Dogs? I like dogs and perhaps it's a good idea to have a dog with you, especially as a woman. But you must be willing to care for your dog always, which may be completely different than what you experience at home.
You could end up spending your last money for dog food while asking for left overs or dumpster dive for yourself. (Food in general is easier to come by than dog food).
Your dog shouldn't suffer cause you can't afford a vet in case. So perhaps get a kind of insurance, if possible.
If you're alone with your dog you can't just easily walk into a Starbucks, McDonald's or even library to charge your phone or use the rest rooms.
Some means of transportation are off limits, like coaches/buses - mostly no pets allowed. It could be harder to hitch, especially with a larger dog.

Said that, many people travel with dogs, so for them obviously the pros beat the cons. And there a ways around some restrictions, like a service dog vest/card. There are quite a few articles/postings about that topic here, try to search ...

Cheers!

Thanks i think i will take my car for my first start. So ill bring my camera and i have a thin laptop as well. I will more than likely have to be careful with who sees my electronics.

I think ill leave the pup behind for now until i really get knowledge on what im dealing with.Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: Kal

RinRose

Reaction score
Website
I traveled last summer with my laptop and dslr and it's kinda scary. I dunno about you but for me it was at least a $5k investment that could be gone at any moment. It hindered my trip in ways because I was always trying to isolate myself from potential shitty situations (when I was by myself). I had the same idea of documenting, and posting/selling prints along the way. I think you'd be better off with just the camera, or even shooting the whole thing on film. Chances are people wont bother stealing a film camera compared to an expensive looking dslr. Also keeping your pack dry is a major concern with electronics.

Also what was mentioned above, do a lot of research it sounds like your pretty out of your element. If I were you, I'd start with a trip in your car first. You can always bring some camping type supplies along and you could ditch the car for a few days and rough it and see what you think. As for your dog.. I have no advice for that. Personally I wouldn't bring an animal traveling. Cheers hope everything mentioned helps and you find what you're looking for.

Yea thats also one of my concerns as well. I think i might have a better chance of keeping the safe if im bringing my car which so far i am planning to.

I am most definitley out of my element but i dont think i have too much of a romantic of this lifestyle. Ive heard some pretty scary storys from a friend who vagabonded last year. Beaten on trains, jail, threats, saw someone stabbed etc. It sounds terrifying but thats kind of what i like about it. At this point boring scares me more than danger. Maybe that makes me stupid or crazy...Thanks for the advice think ill bring the car and leave the dog for now! appreciate it :)

RinRose

Reaction score
Website
Well dearie, a car is pretty convenient, you always have somewhere to sleep, can always charge phones etc, can carry water for washing and a bucket to wash in. Travelling without a car brings a lot more freedom and a lot more discomfit. Only you can really answer that one, what style of travel tempts you the most?
Dogs are good protection, they can warn you when someones around that you can't see, even if they're not very big. They can be inconvenient at times but it all equals out.
I'd try and go for a large screen smartphone or "phablet" instead of a laptop. Small and light, low electricity needs, easy to hide etc.
As for a good camera, if that's your thing then you need one I guess, though I'd use libraries and friends computers to play with photos and travel with a smartphone for your blog and other computer needs.
You can make money from photography but so many people are keen on doing that so it's hard to make real money from it, like writing, or any art really. I think you should try but don't expect to make a wage from it.

Yea thats what i was thinking the only thing is that itll be more money i have to spend or worry about. If i had a buddy id most definitley hitch and train hop. Traveling on foot and really roughing it is what i really want to do. My dogs about corgi size but has a pretty intense bark. i think ill leave him behind at first though till i know exactly what to expect.

I already have a decent camera and laptop i just worry if i end up ditching the car that they will be ruined. Although i could just mail them off to family if that does happen hmmm. Yea good point its something id have to really be original at if i expect to do well at all. thanks for all the advice :)

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
I think all give them part of the story . Like im going hiking with friends and later on tell them my plan because they may not let me leave if they knew.
Okay. If you think that's the best plan, do it that way. But: "because they may not let me leave if they knew." You are old enough to decide what you want to do. "They may not let me leave"? They can't force you to stay. Only by emotions. Don't make the same mistakes I made. Do what you feel is right. ;)

Yea good point im sure i can hook my camera up to the computers in libraries. Thats awesome Ill most definitely bring it if im bringing my car and i think i will for my first trip. Also agree with your opinion on my dog. Thanks so much i really appreciate it.
Dogs are good companions. But the dog has to be ready to do what you want to do. And as said ... you are responsible for him/her.

Thanks i think i will take my car for my first start. So ill bring my camera and i have a thin laptop as well. I will more than likely have to be careful with who sees my electronics.
Put all that in a cheap backpack and keep it in the trunk. Or covered, if you have a station wagon or alike where people could see ...
I think ill leave the pup behind for now until i really get knowledge on what im dealing with.Thanks for the advice!
:)
Yea thats what i was thinking the only thing is that itll be more money i have to spend or worry about. If i had a buddy id most definitley hitch and train hop. Traveling on foot and really roughing it is what i really want to do.
Then do it. :)
Don't know how valuable your car is for you. I like my car (it's 22 years old). I could travel by car but I won't. Why? Cause I would be bound to it. What if something happens? If it brakes down while I'm 400 miles away from home? I would have to deal with it, pay for repairs, etc.
I liked to travel with my backpack. I had only three important things with me. My smartphone (left front pocket), my chained wallet (right back pocket) and my moneybelt (with a spare card in it and some notes). Everything else was disposable. I kept everything valueable for me at my body, if something else would be lost or stolen ... sad, but fuck it ... ;)

Cheers!

• Useful
Reactions: Odin
E

etpyh

If you should take your camera and laptop highly depends on if you take the car or not.
If you don´t take the car with you I wouldn´t take the dslr or laptop, but rather a film camera as someone suggested earlier.
The advantage is that you are not carrying anything valuable with you, you are independent of electricity (depending on the camera), and you can still get high quality pictures. Just send the films home and let them develop and scan. I´d suggest a Konica Hexar AF, Olympus mju II or a small slr like the Olympus OM-2.

RinRose

Reaction score
Website
Okay. If you think that's the best plan, do it that way. But: "because they may not let me leave if they knew." You are old enough to decide what you want to do. "They may not let me leave"? They can't force you to stay. Only by emotions. Don't make the same mistakes I made. Do what you feel is right. ;)

Dogs are good companions. But the dog has to be ready to do what you want to do. And as said ... you are responsible for him/her.

Put all that in a cheap backpack and keep it in the trunk. Or covered, if you have a station wagon or alike where people could see ...

:)

Then do it. :)
Don't know how valuable your car is for you. I like my car (it's 22 years old). I could travel by car but I won't. Why? Cause I would be bound to it. What if something happens? If it brakes down while I'm 400 miles away from home? I would have to deal with it, pay for repairs, etc.
I liked to travel with my backpack. I had only three important things with me. My smartphone (left front pocket), my chained wallet (right back pocket) and my moneybelt (with a spare card in it and some notes). Everything else was disposable. I kept everything valueable for me at my body, if something else would be lost or stolen ... sad, but fuck it ... ;)

Cheers!

Ha good point they cant really do anything i just like to avoid parental arguments . oh what mistake did you make if you dont mind me asking? If i find a buddy a may do more hitchhiking and trainspotting. Im just very new to it all so i guess id feel safer with someone with me in that case. Im doing plenty of research though as well so i may change my mind if i feel confident enough. I have a 2002 honda so its been pretty reliable. I also have considered doing biking. Ha theres just so many options!
Thank you for the replys you have been very helpful :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads