Socal to Alaska

Gypsybones

Reaction score
Website
highonwheels.tumblr.com
Anyone feel line touring to the great white North? I'm in slab city now, planning on heading north in the spring.

I need to find work and am willing to work my way up. So if any of y'all life up the west coast and know of anything, get at me.

Reactions: Matt Derrick
D

Deleted member 19100

I've wanted to visit the Chilkoot Trail National Historic site on the border of BC and the Yukon, which would be on the way. And I'm heading West in the spring. Not sure if I'll go up there right away though. Bug me every once in a while for an update; we might cross paths!

Dunedrifter

Reaction score
Anyone feel line touring to the great white North? I'm in slab city now, planning on heading north in the spring.

I need to find work and am willing to work my way up. So if any of y'all life up the west coast and know of anything, get at me.
Are you planning to travel up the Pacific coast or the Sierra-Cascades? For the coast, heading North, you’ll be on the opposite side of the ocean view. I live three blocks off the Pacific route, so you could rest up and repair here.

Reactions: Gypsybones
D

Deleted member 19100

Unfortunately, neither. I'll be leaving from Toronto and driving through Jasper; I've always wanted to see the Rockies. I'm 110% going to the Jamboree this fall. So I'd be able to take you up on that offer then.
But heading North, we may be able to meet up. Any idea when you'd be passing through BC?

D

Deleted member 11392

I haven't ridden the Cassier Hwy, just the Alaskan Hwy. Everyone told me to take the Cassier though. Supposed to be way more scenic (if that's possible!), More bears, and more remote. Liard Hot Springs in northern BC is a must to stop at if you take the Alaska hwy route.

By the time you get to northern BC and the Yukon, it gets very remote. Sometimes days between towns with a store. EVERY SINGLE TIME I stopped to fix a flat up there, a car pulled over and asked if I needed help or wanted any water or food. EVERY time. Most people have salmon!

There's a lot of abandoned houses along the Alaska hwy in BC and the Yukon. Good place to camp, you don't have to string your food in a tree.

Under bridges, tie a rope with your food bag hanging on one side, sleep on the other. Cook and eat on the side with your food.

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
Might be a dumb question, but since I'm new to this- do you use interstates and highways, or country back roads? I won't have access to data, so no phone, but I've thought about purchasing a US atlas. I'm a very solitary person. Not really into chit chatting with a lot of strangers, so the more remote the route, the better for me.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads