So I got a wild hair for next winter, Portugal to begin with | Squat the Planet

So I got a wild hair for next winter, Portugal to begin with

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a few whiskey sours and my 'magination is running wild with thoughts of adventures in foreign lands. I learned last year that in addition to having Costa Rican ancestry, that the other half of my family on my mother's side is descended from Portugal! So, I got a wild hair and thought it would be fun to check out that part of the world...and maybe meet long lost family on that side of the world.

I have a puppy now, and I would want to take him with. I'm also a surfing enthusiast and would love to surf some local breaks while traveling the coastline through Portugal, Spain, and France. Can anyone who's traveled along the coast there tell me what the hostels/living situations are like and the attitudes towards travelers? Are there many hostels that would allow pets to be left in the room, while I go out surfing for a few hours?.....or should I look into other arrangements? I usually don't stay in hostels while traveling, but for the sake of my dog - I don't want someone to steal him if I leave him tied up on a beach - I need to make sure he is safe and secured. Once I travel inland, we would be together 24/7 but on the coast, I just need to get my surf fix on.

If I don't end up doin this trip, or something similar in the next year, I fear i'm gonna go crazy before long and end up blowin the 5k i have invested on a sailboat, which isn't a bad thing. I was trying to do the 'responsible' thing and "plan for the future and save for my old age"...but fuck....I've always lived by the motto "live for today"....and I just feel so conflicted right now. Thoughts?

Last edited:
E

etpyh

Hostels are around 10€ per night in dorms. I guess you will have some troubles with a dog in most of them though, I can't imagine a lot of hostels allowing dogs to be left in the rooms. If the hostel has a garden or something maybe. I would look out for small independent hostels, some even have hostel dogs so they probably wouldn't mind one more. Depending on where you want to surf I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't too many hostles anyway, but you can usually find private people renting out rooms for 20€-40€. There you would also have more luck with a dog I guess. Another thing to think about would be websites like couchsurfing, workaway, wwoof, etc. I bet you can easily find someone there who likes dogs. Depending on when and for how long you will have to need a place for your dog you could also rent or even buy a car.
On the other hand I just googled for pet friendly hostels and there were a lot of results so maybe it's not that hard to find one, but I stayed in some hostels and could only see one of them allowing dogs. Also check the legalties of bringing your dog (obviously), I read that youo have to microchip them. On another note, isn't flying really stressfull for your dog? Maybe it would be better to find someone to look after him back home? Depending on how long you wanna stay of course.

Edit: In general traveling there was pretty easy, didn't sense any negative attitude towards travelers. But maybe that was because I was there of season and there were'nt too many around. More on the cheape side of the eu too.

• Useful
Reactions: iamwhatiam
A

A New Name

There is no animosity towards travelers that I am aware of. And in case you're considering couchsurfing I rent a house with a couple other guys, one of them who frequently hosts travellers in thr summer. I could host you for some time if you're interested in visiting the district of Setubal here in Portugal. The dog is welcome too altho be warned, I have a dog of my own who's medium big, and his attitude can go from playful to domineering with other dogs depending on their interaction, altho he won't bite or otherwise mangle unless attacked first. I sugest waiting for June at least to visit Portugal so that you can get the most out of the surfing experience.
Also, one of the guys I live with, the one who has the habit of hosting, is an avid body surfer, so I'm guessing he'd go surfing along.

Btw, my dog never mangled anyone or anything.

• Useful

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
If your dog is over 6kg most airlines won't let it travel in the cabin with you and therefore you'll have to make arrangements for it to travel in the hold which costs a lot of money and as someone else pointed out is really stressful for dogs. I don't know what the laws are regarding traveling with animals from USA into Europe, whether they have to go into quarantine? I live in the UK and my dog has to have a passport and be checked for rabies and have the correct vaccinations before she can travel into the rest of Europe. Also I don't know what type of dog you have but pitbull types and some others are banned/have to wear muzzles/stay on a lead in many parts of mainland Europe.

Personally, unless you're permanently relocating to europe I wouldn't take your dog. Either get someone to take care of it whilst you go away or don't make the trip.

• Useful

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
There is no animosity towards travelers that I am aware of. And in case you're considering couchsurfing I rent a house with a couple other guys, one of them who frequently hosts travellers in thr summer. I could host you for some time if you're interested in visiting the district of Setubal here in Portugal. The dog is welcome too altho be warned, I have a dog of my own who's medium big, and his attitude can go from playful to domineering with other dogs depending on their interaction, altho he won't bite or otherwise mangle unless attacked first. I sugest waiting for June at least to visit Portugal so that you can get the most out of the surfing experience.
Also, one of the guys I live with, the one who has the habit of hosting, is an avid body surfer, so I'm guessing he'd go surfing along.

Btw, my dog never mangled anyone or anything.
thanks so much for the offer man. Will definitely keep in mind! It'd be awhile before I go there, I'm just entertaining the thought of going atm

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
for it to travel in the hold which costs a lot of money and as someone else pointed out is really stressful for dogs.........
Personally, unless you're permanently relocating to europe I wouldn't take your dog. Either get someone to take care of it whilst you go away or don't make the trip.
yea, maybe it's best not to

D

Deleted member 2626

Ive thought on this myself having never been to any other countries on my own besides canada. You could always try the service dog tags but I feel if something negative did go down a plane or airport is probably one of the worst places for it to do so. I swam on a beach up in r.i few years ago, dog less beach, had my fellas packs on and tied him to a lifeguards chair and she kept an eye on him. . .

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads