Sneaking onto Amtrak | Squat the Planet

Sneaking onto Amtrak

UrTech

Reaction score
Amtrak has always been a goto for me if you check the route. I have only done it on the east coast. I noticed things about the train that stood out. People love smoking cigarettes and they immediately huddle to the designated spot to smoke. If one was to mingle amongst the smokers and get back on the train, found out the lounge car is a great place to hangout without disturbance.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Please avoid one word thread titles. I've made your thread title more descriptive.

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Been a while but I've pulled it off multiple times. Trick is to do it at a 5 minute stop and chill in the bathroom till you've been moving for a bit. I would always just go straight to the observation deck after that and try to make friends. My attitude was they're gonna be a lot less likely to boot someone who's interacting with other passengers. Most Amtrak employees just wanna avoid conflict. Fair warning, you can get federal charges for doing this so if you get found out don't be a dick.

CasterWizard

Reaction score
I've been wondering about getting away with this on passenger trains for a while, hiding out in the bathroom or just wandering up and down the train like I'm looking for a snack or something. Might get tiring over longer distances though. Thanks for these tips!

Gooseman

Reaction score
On the west coast they seem to check/scan tickets as you get on the train. So unless this was a very busy station, I don't see how this is gonna work.

Gooseman

Reaction score
Might work.... especially when its crowded and they check tickets only once you are aboard (which seems to be SOP on the Pacific Surfliner at the busier stations).

Voidcreep

Reaction score
Amtrak is always though greyhounds easy really epically in the middle of a run they don't check tickets really

Currently in a greyhound as I type this and can confirm. The actual station checked the ticket. But at our first quick stop the driver wasn't even on the bus. Anyone could have got on and into the back. Especially considering with the app you can track every bus

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads