Snake bites, your dog or you | Squat the Planet

Snake bites, your dog or you

D

Deleted member 26656

So if you are out traveling around, and you or your dog get bitten by a snake what do you do? Really, what do you do?

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I guess just hope for the best if you're out in the middle of nowhere.

Honestly, it's one of my biggest fears for my dog. I haven't traveled much in a few years and I wonder about that. We don't have poisonous snakes here in WA west of the cascades so I don't worry about it. But we spend a lot of time in the woods, and my dog has a fascination with rocks and turning them over with his nose, so it's a concern of mine whenever we head over to the eastside of the state

Spazz

Reaction score
I worry about this too. Right now I can pick her up and run like hell to the car and the 24 hour emergency vet but I'm seriously maxing out the unpayable credit card debt and would definitely appreciate some tips on first aid for dogs.

I was taught to cut an X on the bite with a razor blade, suck out the blood, and apply a turniquet, but the internet says that was bad advice and completely outdated.

Dameon

Reaction score
If you or your dog get bitten by a snake, you need antivenom. There's no substitute treatment, you cannot cut, bleed, or suck out the venom. If you have a dog, and you're in the desert, I highly recommend you get a bottle of rattlesnake vaccine. It's cheap ($10-$20), and you give it to the dog before they get bit, so you don't need to rush off to the vet. I personally generally keep my dog on the leash in the desert; there's too much trouble they can get into out there.

D

Deleted member 26656

If you or your dog get bitten by a snake, you need antivenom. There's no substitute treatment, you cannot cut, bleed, or suck out the venom. If you have a dog, and you're in the desert, I highly recommend you get a bottle of rattlesnake vaccine. It's cheap ($10-$20), and you give it to the dog before they get bit, so you don't need to rush off to the vet. I personally generally keep my dog on the leash in the desert; there's too much trouble they can get into out there.
Wait, you give it to the dog before they get bit? Is that a typo?

BradKajukenbo

Reaction score
Here in Nor-Cal, we have to watch out for Timber Rattlers and Western Diamondbacks. Mostly Timber Rattlers.

I have come close to being bitten by a timber rattler. I was going up the steps of my back porch and I didn't see it under the steps. No rattle warning, it struck out and got the toe of my boot which I wear steel toes. It had 3 buttons on it.

As it was suggested already, carry anti-venom for yourself. For your dogs, I do every year for mine, get them a Rattlesnake Vaccine. Just like a ribies vaccine.

D

Deleted member 26656

Here in Nor-Cal, we have to watch out for Timber Rattlers and Western Diamondbacks. Mostly Timber Rattlers.

I have come close to being bitten by a timber rattler. I was going up the steps of my back porch and I didn't see it under the steps. No rattle warning, it struck out and got the toe of my boot which I wear steel toes. It had 3 buttons on it.

As it was suggested already, carry anti-venom for yourself. For your dogs, I do every year for mine, get them a Rattlesnake Vaccine. Just like a ribies vaccine.
Oh wow, I didn't know there is a vaccine for snake bites.
I'm from the East, and I've never actually heard of that, but sounds pretty useful, thank you!

D

Deleted member 26656

I would never let my dog get hurt .
Oh that's so sweet of you, little new Yorker. But unfortunately, many of us are out here in THE REAL WORLD in mountainous areas and such where we can't always control our environs.
Nobody WANTS their dog to get hurt (as your city slicker treat a dog like a baby mentality presupposes).
Go eat some more factory farmed meat and please leave our thread alone.

BradKajukenbo

Reaction score
Oh wow, I didn't know there is a vaccine for snake bites.
I'm from the East, and I've never actually heard of that, but sounds pretty useful, thank you!

I think the vet I take my dog to only charges me $6-$10 for the vaccine. It will save your dogs life.

The vaccine stimulates a dog to create his own antibodies to rattlesnake venom that will protect him from bites that happen in the future.

WyldLyfe

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Ay, don't gotta dog but iv seen snakes while travelling around a few times, they normally don't want to attack, or they'll give you a warning first, like the rattle snake in america shakes its tail to say hey buddy fuck off.. most the time when iv seen them they slither away, actually every time, I almost stood on a tiger snake once while I was walking bare foot through a creek area, it was next to the path just laying there stretched out but for some fucking reason I thought it wasn't real, I looked around and though did someone put this here as a joke? it didn't look real, so I leaned in closer to have a look.. and it dashed off through the grass, that was a while back when I didn't know too much about snakes. Iv mostly seen tiger snakes, red belly black snakes and pythons in the wild (Pythons aren't venomous)

As for dogs though, I know two people who'v had there dogs bitten and killed by snakes, one was a tiger snake it got three dogs, the other not sure but it got two dogs.. both these incidences happened in peoples own back yards, if possible train the dog to identify and stay away from snakes or keep it on a lead (like someone else said) when going through areas you think may have snakes, in some places snakes don't come out to much in the colder months but come out when its hotter months too, seasonal awareness can help.

Reaction score
I’m not from New York. I spent over six month in wilderness program with no gear. That was before I was 17. I’m 33 now. I do enjoy grilled meats and I would take shots for my dog right now. He’s older and has been with me through it all. I would do anything for him.

D

Deleted member 26656

Where are you from? The mountains in the east? What state? I feel bad for that dog in ur picture. I guess he’s just company for you
Wow, you're fucking piece of fucking shit dud
Where are you from? The mountains in the east? What state? I feel bad for that dog in ur picture. I guess he’s just company for you
hey idiot, do you not realize that I started this thread out of concern for us and our dogs? The whole thread was started in order to properly understand what to do in the event that a dog is bit by a snake you fucking idiot.

D

Deleted member 26656

actually idiot, I care more about my dog than you will ever know and that is the reason why I started this thread in order to know what to do in an emergency situation.

D

Deleted member 26656

Yeah, I keep my dog on leash in the desert also, and at night no matter where I am.

D

Deleted member 26656

I’m not from New York. I spent over six month in wilderness program with no gear. That was before I was 17. I’m 33 now. I do enjoy grilled meats and I would take shots for my dog right now. He’s older and has been with me through it all. I would do anything for him.
Dude, we would do any things for our dogs also probably more than you frankly that's why I started this thread so we know what to do in the event of an emergency.

D

Deleted member 26656

I'd like this thread closed please by the moderatorsl. we have enough useful info here in this dude is come in here and basically sabotaged it.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I'd like this thread closed please by the moderatorsl. we have enough useful info here in this dude is come in here and basically sabotaged it.

@Travelisinvigorating you need to calm down. just because someone has one offhand remark to your thread doesn't mean you get to go off on a tirade of flaming the other person. you can have disagreements here without insulting others. consider this a verbal warning.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads