Smart phone vs flip phone | Squat the Planet

Smart phone vs flip phone

Skit

Reaction score
I've only had flip phones my entire life and honestly it's been great. Very cheap service, basically indestructible, hipster as fuck, and a great conversation starter. Lately, I've been feeling at a loss as I was scrolling through my facebook because I have next to no pictures of myself, my travels, and other small things from my life that I would like to share with my friends. Basically, the only reason I would like a smartphone is for the ability to take good quality pictures (and to see titty pics in higher resolution than 144p, but that's just an added bonus).

So I guess my question is this: Would it be worth it to spend ~$200 on a smart phone or ~$200 on a camera and keep my flip phone?? How do you like your smart phone, is it worth it?

MetalBryan

Reaction score
You can get a Samsung Rugby Pro used on amazon for ~$40. I've owned 3 of these and they are very hard to break WITHOUT a protective case. Low-end os means that you won't be able to run every brand new app, but it's got a decent camera and enough storage to shoot some internet quality video.

Unlocked it takes an AT&T compatible SIM card. Probably works with tracphone cards, but you'd want to do your research if you're not going full-data with a plan.

Highly recommended!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CGIULGC/

I am looking for an upgrade (I want to use those apps and switch to pay-as-you-go) and for $100 this seems like the best deal.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071FBVP5J/

Last edited by a moderator:

Django

Reaction score
Smartphone is an extension of your abilities.
With smartphone you gain access to endless sources of information at all time,
You have access to noumeros (?) Ways of communication with people.
Navigation, camera, music, communication and so much more,
All in a very small, cheap (with 200$ you can get very nice smartphones) device.
You do t need data plan, just connect to WiFi. It's everywhere in North America.

I have a Xiaomi redmi note 4. It was 120$ on eBay and it works great. It's a tool I use ALL THE TIME.
Sure, if you feel like walking around in 2019 blind folded, handcuffs and only using your right leg, keep not using a smartphone. I'm sure it is a great conversation starter.
But if you want to explore more, open your eyes and use your hands (ok. Enough with this metaphor), get yourself a smartphone.

Glass Roads

Reaction score
I would say get a camera. I just got a Nikon D3400 not to long ago and I'm digging it.
I used to have a smart phone, but I just can't justify the amount of time I waste on social media or looking at ebay or craigslist. Even if you have to buy a $20 Ipod, a $90 GPS unit, and go to libraries, I'd say your still coming out ahead. But maybe you have better time management skills than I do. Been rocking a flip phone for a while now.
Not sure what to do about your titty pic dilemma. If this is a frequent problem, maybe you should get a smart phone.

• Haha
Reactions: JackSquat and Skit

train in vain

Reaction score
As others have already stated..you can get a phone a lot cheaper than $200. You can do a more wjth a phone than take photos. Personally i use mine more for info and looking at a map than taking photos while riding trains. I had a flip phone years ago and one day i flipped it open and it broke in half. That was the end of that shit. Never again.its pretty funny that a piece of shit flip phone is somehow cool amongst certain dummies.

D

Deleted member 22934

At one time I wanted a regular flip phone, but the straight talk one still required the unlimited plan, so you may as well get a smart phone.... Just depends what you do tho... At times its nice to have unlimited data and watch youtube videos at night... but if money is few and far between, while travelling or whatever.... Then a cheap flip is the way to go....

It all depends what you plan to be doing in the forseeable future. I got a smart phone with unlimited data and I use the hell out of it... But if I took off or planned to be on the road for a while, Id probably make the switch and find a cheaper service.

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
The first time I hit the road, I had a flip phone, a shitty digital camera, and an iPod that could connect to wifi. Having a smartphone is basically like having a better version of all three of those devices in my pocket. It made traveling way easier by allowing me to look at maps, search StP for info, etc.

It's also nice to have for music or videos or social media but it's super easy to get sucked in and waste too much time staring at your phone. I'd say buy a used one and either just use it on wifi or pay-as-you-go.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
I would say a smartphone is better, since (as others mentioned before) it combines a phone, an e-mail and web client, camera, music player, etc. in one device. And they are cheap when you buy used ones. Maybe if you ask friends or family you will even get one for free. Many people have like 2 or 3 generations of smartphones they don't use anymore.

But why not have both?

Flip-phones are dirt cheap (like $10) and for the same amount you will get a pay-as-you-go plan (at least here in Europe). They normally have a very much longer battery lifetime, so when your smartphone is dead and you can't charge right now, you still have a phone you can contact people with. Plus if you are travelling with a friend who has no working phone for some reason, you can borrow the flipphone to him/her and stay in contact when you part for a few hours or alike.

Just my 2 cents.

SoloDrifter1980

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I've only had flip phones my entire life and honestly it's been great. Very cheap service, basically indestructible, hipster as fuck, and a great conversation starter. Lately, I've been feeling at a loss as I was scrolling through my facebook because I have next to no pictures of myself, my travels, and other small things from my life that I would like to share with my friends. Basically, the only reason I would like a smartphone is for the ability to take good quality pictures (and to see titty pics in higher resolution than 144p, but that's just an added bonus).

So I guess my question is this: Would it be worth it to spend ~$200 on a smart phone or ~$200 on a camera and keep my flip phone?? How do you like your smart phone, is it worth it?
There's plenty of good offer's with Smartphones on places like Amazon and even Walmart...had a few of both worlds. I personally after doing a barter with work have a refurbished Google Nexus 6P from Amazon and thus far provides everything I need and more! But there are excellent cheap phones at Walmart like the Samsung Galaxy Luna that offers excellent pic's and videos for under $50. I prefer StraightTalk service because you can get unlimited for $55 a month. But yeah I'd go for a Smartphone you won't be regretful and, with finding a cheap one, you'll save a ton of money with finding a regular camera and then having to have a type of laptop or desktop to upload the photos and videos. Good luck with your search...

Reactions: JackSquat
D

Deleted member 14481

I suggest looking at Virgin Mobile's phones. The service is more costly, but you get what you pay for. And, a smart phone would be a be expansion in accessibility, if you care about that. but, if you would rather keep it, you can get decent cameras for cheap, these days.

D

Deleted member 24782

It's a personal choice really, but I went back to a flip phone 2 years ago. It was a great decision. I don't save contacts and I try to remember peoples #'s. Life has felt so much more meaningful and spontaneous. I got addicted to the smart phone and the amazing features, but felt I wasn't engaging with the world in a positive or genuine way anymore. So yeah, just get a camera, digital or disposables.

MFB

Reaction score
I hate to say it; my smart phone was indispensable on my travels since i got it two years ago.

Translating
Maps
Destinations
Reasearching
Music
Pretty okay pictures.
Etc

DeadTreeMississippi

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I haven't been on the road at all yet.

OP, I relate because I had a dumbphone til I was about 25, by choice. Indestructible was right, and couldn't beat that battery life. Plus, most importantly, not being glued to the screen all the time.

Finally caved and got a smartphone. It doesn't have as high of quality of pictures as I'd like though. Most indispensable uses I have for it have been: Instant access to bank account, Internet, and digital proof of car insurance; Pandora; memo-taking; calculator; and Grindr. I'm not sure how important/practical any of these uses are for on the road. Notably, there's also the Kindle app so you don't have to lug hard copy books around...But personally, I just use a dedicated Kindle device for that.

You say "high-quality" photos; what kinds of photos are you wanting to take? I have an Olympus and a Nikon...I could never rival with my smartphone the landscape and close-up macro shots these cameras take. But I've seen pretty decent smartphone pics of medium-distance subjects.

There's also the slightly pain-in-the-butt process of transferring the pictures from dedicated camera to computer. My Nikon has bluetooth transfer capability but I found it just as cumbersome to work with their software program (could just be me). Without the bluetooth, there are USB cords to deal with, and a laptop or access to a computer. Not to mention, Idk how common the bluetooth capability is in most dedicated cameras, but I know my Nikon was about $600 new (was a gift). With even a cheap a smartphone, you have instant ability to send or upload your pictures anywhere you need them to go.

Just my two cents and some things to think about, I guess.

If you do get a smartphone, I highly recommend a hard-back case for it. Even if I were to purposefully slam it face-first into the ground, nothing's going to crack, cause the hard ridges around the whole screen keep the actual screen from coming into contact with anything. I can't even count how many times I've dropped my smartphone on hard surfaces in the years I've had it, and it doesn't have a single scratch. Clear screen protectors are awesome too--just replace it when it gets too marked up. My dumbphone made it through a ton of abuse, but it definitely showed its wear and tear.

• Useful
Reactions: Skit

Skit

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I haven't been on the road at all yet.

OP, I relate because I had a dumbphone til I was about 25, by choice. Indestructible was right, and couldn't beat that battery life. Plus, most importantly, not being glued to the screen all the time.

Finally caved and got a smartphone. It doesn't have as high of quality of pictures as I'd like though. Most indispensable uses I have for it have been: Instant access to bank account, Internet, and digital proof of car insurance; Pandora; memo-taking; calculator; and Grindr. I'm not sure how important/practical any of these uses are for on the road. Notably, there's also the Kindle app so you don't have to lug hard copy books around...But personally, I just use a dedicated Kindle device for that.

You say "high-quality" photos; what kinds of photos are you wanting to take? I have an Olympus and a Nikon...I could never rival with my smartphone the landscape and close-up macro shots these cameras take. But I've seen pretty decent smartphone pics of medium-distance subjects.

There's also the slightly pain-in-the-butt process of transferring the pictures from dedicated camera to computer. My Nikon has bluetooth transfer capability but I found it just as cumbersome to work with their software program (could just be me). Without the bluetooth, there are USB cords to deal with, and a laptop or access to a computer. Not to mention, Idk how common the bluetooth capability is in most dedicated cameras, but I know my Nikon was about $600 new (was a gift). With even a cheap a smartphone, you have instant ability to send or upload your pictures anywhere you need them to go.

Just my two cents and some things to think about, I guess.

If you do get a smartphone, I highly recommend a hard-back case for it. Even if I were to purposefully slam it face-first into the ground, nothing's going to crack, cause the hard ridges around the whole screen keep the actual screen from coming into contact with anything. I can't even count how many times I've dropped my smartphone on hard surfaces in the years I've had it, and it doesn't have a single scratch. Clear screen protectors are awesome too--just replace it when it gets too marked up. My dumbphone made it through a ton of abuse, but it definitely showed its wear and tear.

I appreciate your reply! That first stanza was 100% on point. I did end up getting a $40 smartphone but still just have calling and texting for right now. When I head for the road in a couple more weeks I'll probably get data for the GPS and whatnot. After being used to terrible quality photos on the flip basically anything is "high quality" to me haha. It's been pretty great having a smartphone, except that I do find myself chilling on the toilet for a bit longer now scrolling through random shit. I'm hoping to upload some photos of my current rubber setup here soon too.

Reactions: DeadTreeMississippi

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I'll probably get data for the GPS and whatnot

just to clarify, you only need data for loading maps, not the GPS itself. you can also load up maps while on wifi and use them (with GPS) without a data plan. i just reposted and article about this here.

obey no one

Reaction score
Website
lostnw.podbean.com
been flip phone only for a long time. i do actually have a smart phone with no service that is great for getting on free wifi at mcdonalds, or taco bell on the road. the camera is ok. there are tons of cool things that i have seen, and tried to take a picture of, and the phone camera just did not cut it. i need a real camera. with what is happening now i've had to pay for mobile internet (which im using right now) but if things ever return to normal i will just go back to libraries and coffee shops for internet. the cheaper you can keep your costs the longer you can stay out.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads