Small new homeless shelter in PNW (1 Viewer)

Lamentations

I have about $550 to spend, and I'd like to open a homeless shelter in Bellevue to house about 5-10 people. I think I may be able to keep it open for two months on this budget, but there could be donations to do so with popularity.

I plan to obtain permission from a storage facility, then register as a nonprofit organization. There will likely be anarcho-communist literature available to share there. I will need one or two people to moderate and hand out food as volunteers, though I hope a max of 1/5 the supportable population will be regular donors, who stay there and do so.

I plan to live there myself, as I currently live in another shelter, and Bellevue doesn't seem to be shutting them down.

If you can help organize, volunteer there, research, or would like to donate resources or funds, please contact me.

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Faceplant

Mmmm . . . Taste the Ballast!
This is bound to be a short-lived project. Obtaining a location aside, 550.00 is going to last you about half a day in trying to establish a homeless shelter. Probably not even enough for permitting. You‘ need more like 550,000.00.

Lamentations

Well, with a little expertise, maybe I can get someone to donate the permits.
I figure I can use boiled water and soap for handwashing, and just spend a lot of time asking at restaurants and offices for them to send drinking water and food, and get the city to bring 2 portable bathrooms. I could advertise for donations of furniture, and split the cost of wireless internet, so, even if it starts out as a drop-in center, people have a place to research or share ideas.

Last edited:

Dameon

Nomad
$550 is not enough to really get much of anything started...$550 is barely enough to rent a room for a month in Bellevue, if they somehow didn't want a security deposit or last month's rent, which isn't going to happen. You'd be better off using that money to set up a little kitchen or something to feed people.

Glass Roads

Pilgrim
I would think you would be better off starting a food not bombs or mutual aid disaster relief in your area with those kinds of funds (if there isn't already one in your area).

You may also just want to find fellow egalitarian anarchists and rent a house together to help people. Though if you don't have revenue streams, that can become difficult to maintain. Maybe try hosting some concerts or renting out a room or two to people who are down. Cross your fingers for a chill landlord and be ready to hear complaints from the rest of the neighborhood.

I would think you'll have a hard time finding a storage facility to agree to that.

That all being said, I think it's great that you have the drive to help your community in that way, and I hope you figure out a way to make it work.

We're setting up a Food Not Bombs resource center in Moscow, Idaho. Shoot me a message if you have any logistical questions and I'll try to get ya any answers I can.

Good luck and solidarity

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$90.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $90.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $90.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.