Sling Staff | Squat the Planet

Sling Staff

Kadidlehopper

Reaction score
Staff sling, not mine but still a neat concept, one would obviously use it as a walking stick then if need be could huck the heaviest object near by at a distant threat, the stick itself could be used for close to mid range defense, and it can be used for hunting.

not even just that, one could use it for hurling shit over fences, branches, across streams etc and its a pretty simple build to boot.

http://bit.ly/1hIC3Fs

Attachments

• newstaffslingpouch.png
    newstaffslingpouch.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 975
  • newstaffsling5.png
    newstaffsling5.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 693
  • newstaffsling4.png
    newstaffsling4.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,867
  • newstaffsling3.png
    newstaffsling3.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 942
  • Useful
Reactions: Hylyx

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
Ever heard of the atlatl? It was used by prehistoric man to hunt mammoths basically a stick with a groove in which another stick with spear head was put in it and flung kind of like a sling.

Erable

Aspiring journeyman
Reaction score
Ever heard of the atlatl? It was used by prehistoric man to hunt mammoths basically a stick with a groove in which another stick with spear head was put in it and flung kind of like a sling.
Oh I've heard of those, they're a pretty cool concept, could be a lot of fun.
Why do you mention them?

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
The sling staff reminded me of it. I actually learned about it in grade school. Maybe make a staff out of it and have a way to secure the arrow while travelling. Dunno how useful it would be for hunting these days tho.

Erable

Aspiring journeyman
Reaction score
I still think my go to for hunting would have to be a slingshot.
Though I do kind of fancy the idea of hurling small spearlike arrows with a flick of the wrist, that's an idea I could vouch for.

Erable

Aspiring journeyman
Reaction score
Yea I was about to say slingshot. Crossbow maybe??
Apparently crossbows are actually pretty good for taking big game, so that would definitely be viable, it's just big, so not good for anything other then a camping/backwoods expedition

Kadidlehopper

Reaction score
Crossbows would be the ideal, in canada at least, seeing that one dosnt need a lisence to own one hur, the ones with collapsible limbs are especially cool. saw one at princess auto a few weeks ago, figuring it was a kids toy I casually asked
the draw weight, 150lbs! barely over a foot an a half long! more then enough to take down big game even though in a transitory situation taking big game would be a terrible idea..

as for slingshots, if your gonna wanna get one then refurbish it with some theraband, preferably gold. Its a physiotherapy elastic thats durable and customizable in length, strength and power. Altho one would want to be carrying around steel or lead bearings as a more efficient round over rocks.

Slingbows are a pretty cool concept and can be easily made from a regular slingshot with the addition of a whisker biscuit.

an atlatl is more of a catapult then a sling, the grooved stick acted as an extension of the arm allowing you to gain more momentum in your throwing of the spear, neat little tools, but the amount of specifics and practice needed makes them somewhat inefficient when needed immediately for survival.

I posted this mainly because of the number of people I saw who traveled with a walking stick, the only addition to your gear is a couple leather straps, takes up no extra space except on the top of yo stick, and your ammo can be literally be anything you come across.

A

AlwaysLost

Incredible range with an atalytl u need a small piece of antler glued tied to the back end of your launcher..easier to Google it than for me to explain it but we played with them in archaeology class (cool teacher).

todd

Reaction score
would be easy to make and hide [USERGROUP=17]@Staff[/USERGROUP] top with a handle it shouldn't show.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads