sleeping bag question | Squat the Planet

sleeping bag question

kakafreedom

Reaction score
Hi

I'm new for camping and looking to buy a sleeping bag.
I'm 5" and 95 lbs. I'm not sure yet what I want to use for this but hopefully it's good for 3 season.s
One more condition is, I'm looking for something ultra lightweight.

Now I have two options in my mind

• REI Flash Sleeping - Women's ($205)
    EN lower limit (rating for men) 23 degrees Fahrenheit
    EN comfort (rating for women) 32 degrees Fahrenheit
    1 lb. 11 oz.
    700-fill duck down (top) and PrimaLoft Sport (bottom)

• Kelty Women SB35/EN41 ($224)
    EN Comfort Limit: 41oF / 5oC
    EN Lower Limit: 32oF / 0oC
    800-fill DriDown™ insulation
    1 lb 8 oz. / 0.67 kg

Do you think which one is better?

Thanks

Last edited:
A

Adnil

I admit I usually ditch the sleeping bags, so (I'm also 5'0 yet 115 pounds) tend to just cuddle with another in theirs if we don't get a room.
To save yourself those bucks, if you go to a Salvation Army shop and tell the manager that you're homeless without gear they tend to usually allow you to pick up boots, jackets, sleeping bag, etc.

• Useful
Reactions: outskirts

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
Are you really looking to spend that much money on a sleeping bag?? you should really just pack according to the weather. If your bag is too warm it will suck in the summer. Just go with a cheap lightweight bag and when it gets colder add more to it. Those bags are pretty much designed for weekend camping trips not for long term use and their price makes them suck to lose.

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
Spring through fall Iv'e gotten by with just my cheap Miltec mummy bag and an SOL Escape Bivy. It's a good lightweight and compact pairing that keeps me dry and warm. Also good for when I don't want to risk damaging or "loosing" my U.S. military bivy. Then again I am a fan of layers, layers always give you more options. Hell you could even roll up in a wool blanket then work your way into a cheap sleeping bag. Whatever works.

• Useful
Reactions: MJhitcher

kecleon

Reaction score
I wouldn't buy any down sleeping bag.

They're for going camping one time a year not using day to day. They don't stand up to abuse and moisture and most people don't have time to be airing their bag out for hours a day.

If it gets wet once you've had it, no warmth, and they take ages to dry.

Get a synthetic bag save a ton of money and problems.

Reactions: shred till yer dead

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
DriDown is for real. Totally changes having a down bag. Unless it gets soaked, it will still be warm damp, and it dries much faster. I got mine heavily damp, not soaked, and it dried laid out on an airport seat for an hour.

If you can afford a good bag why the fuck not? Wont be warmer then the military ones, but way way smaller and lighter.

G

Grubblin

You could also get a cheaper bag and a silk sleeping bag liner. In the hot summer the liner may be all you need but it adds a layer in the winter for warmth. The silk also keeps the bag from smelling as badly if you sweat in it.

• Useful
Reactions: outskirts

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads