Skate shoes or hiking shoes?

BenAxeMan

Reaction score
8811 breezewood drive Pittsburgh pa 15237
I recently decided after much thinking that combat boots are cool and great but that since they offer almost no comfort and weigh a lot on your feet that I'll probably be investing (or more likely stealing) a pair of durable suitable shoes instead. I work at goodwill taking donations so I get to look through a lot of shoes and I can probably find something pretty nice. I've seen a lot of love for skate shoes and I wondered if I should go for some of those or if I should go for some hiking shoes. Something I was considering was taking some ll bean stuff and returning it to ll bean for store credit then buying their hiking shoes with that. Or if those suck I'll just keep an eye out for something else. Any thoughts or advice?

andi

Reaction score
Any shoe that is comfortable is for sure the best way to go. Doesnt really matter what kind of shoe as long as its durable and comfortable. Hiking shoes sounds like a good way to go. Combat boots can get super hot in the summer, and sneakers can wear out easily.

Reactions: BenAxeMan

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Reaction score
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
I almost always wish I was wearing sandals or flip flops but for those times when I am walking on uneven, wet, jagged surfaces I am glad I stuck with boots. I pretty much stick with decently lightweight Walmart steel toed boots. I hate when my feet are baking in the sun on the pavement but when I'm running a train or tromping through the woods to find a place to sleep I'm super happy with my boots choice. But yeah it's a totally personal choice and depends on what you get up to day to day.

D

Deleted member 125

i dont mind my boots weight, they keep my feet dry and ive had them for over 10 years and ive only replaced the soles one time. if yer going for sneakers get a decent pair, its a big bummer to be walking around with big ass holes in yer shoes after only a few weeks of wearing them. boots.jpg

D

Deleted member 2626

Whatever used boots I can find at a thrift store. Hiking mid heights low heighth versatility is better than a foot garment designation

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Shoes ... one of my favourite topics ... lol

Not that I like shoes so much, it's more the contrary. If I could I would be barefoot most of the time and just wear flip-flops or bathroom slippers otherwise. In an ideal world ...

But on the road shoes are needed quite often (protection, warmth), so there is not really a way around it.

I found out, I can't really wear boots or other sturdy shoes (like skate shoes made of thick leather), at least not for a longer period of time. (Was different as I was in the Army for my 10 months service. Back then I (obviously) wore combat boots the whole day without problems. But that was over 20 years ago.)

So I'm with @Ori ... "I'm all about sneakers." Specifically canvas sneakers like Converse Chucks, Vans or alike (those days mostly the fake ones). But then it comes to the point @drea99 made: "can wear out easily". Yes.

When I think about the almost 3 years I'm travelling now ... Most of the time my shoes were quite fucked. Sometimes fixed with tape or with the shoelaces wrapped around the shoes to keep them wearable, lol. A few times I didn't care for replacements in time, resulting in being shoeless eventually. Of course mostly in situations you don't really need that to happen, like being in a rush on a mission at night or on a rainy November day.

Anyway, I really tried a lot of different types of shoes, but only lightweight sneakers work for me.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads