Should I get a lifestraw bottle? | Squat the Planet

Should I get a lifestraw bottle?

T

TheOddAnarchist

Do you think getting a lifestraw bottle would be worth it? Is there a cheaper way to get clean water out and about besides buying bottles of water? An inexpensive, simple filtration method even?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i've never traveled with a water purifier before, but never had trouble getting clean water. i guess it depends on where you're going. if you're going to be in remote areas, i'd say it's worth it. i'm not familiar with the lifestraw in particular, but i'd do some research on what water purifiers require the least amount of maintenance, and how often you have to change the filter, because filters can be a pain in the butt to find.

Reaction score
You can and should buy iodine tablets. They'll help in a pinch but I wouldn't recommend using it all the time because it can't get rid of all contaminants in the water. You could get a water purifying pump but that would take up precious space in your pack, and you'd probably only need it if you were going out into the wilderness. I also think that you could buy a brita water bottle, but those aren't super cheap and would also take up space. It's up to you so choose what's best and good luck!

Durp

Reaction score
Life straw ain't pulling out mining runoff like arsenic. Just figure out where the game are drinking from and you will be a ok. First just drink a little, if you feel sick in a couple hours dont drink from there anymore. If you are cconcerned about microbes, just boil it. Dont drink from the Hudson river :p

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Check out the sawyer squeeze mini. Its tiny, lasts forever, and you can put it on a bottle or hang it with a bag like a gravity filter. Sometimes walmarts carry them for $20, comes with a little water bag that wears out fast, but the filter is legit. Don't let it freeze.

• Useful
Reactions: Lial and Mongo

Doc Road

Reaction score
I,um,acquired,one of those expensive pump ones and you know what, from research and practice unless you have a true reverse osmosis system witch is thousands of $$,those portable ones are as effective as a ground still,found in military manuals. You dig a hole next to a water source where it's silty and sandy,let stand for a moment and done. You can always boil or cook and make coffee/tea,for redundancy.

kecleon

Reaction score
Sawyer mini is the best filter when you consider money, versatility, space, lifetime and weight
It lasts 100,000 gallons, can be used as a straw or attaches to the threads on most bottles, filters to 0.1 microns, and takes up next to no space/weight.

I carry it just because its so small but I rarely use it in reality because drinking water is most places. Couple of times I used it I was happy to have it though.

• Useful
Reactions: Lial and Dmac

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads