Shock Absorbers on Bikes? | Squat the Planet

Shock Absorbers on Bikes?

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
So i was talking to the guy at a local bike shop about my rusty old mountain bike and he said i should upgrade. His suggestion was to get a bike with shock absorbers for a smoother ride. Now I'm pretty sure he was just pulling the salesman card on me but it got me thinking, is it worth it to have shock absorbers on your bike? it seems like they would just be added weight and its not like i mind the bumpy rides but according to him they help to keep your bike in better condition. what do fellow bikers out there have to say?

Dmac

Reaction score
i have a mountain bike with a front shock, it really reduces the stress to my arms compared to my old bike, especially on longer rides. i didn't like the full suspension bikes, it was hard to get good traction when climbing hills off-road. plus i like to be able to put on saddle bags and such for longer rides.

spoon

The coolest person you never met.
Reaction score
I have always been a fan of rigid frame bikes. The bike I have now has shocks on the forks and the one before that was a soft tail.
Never had a bike with both. I think the shocks on the front make a big difference as far as stress on fore arms. It took me a little while to get used to jumping over curbs and stuff. especially if I had to pop up the back wheel or hop both wheels at once.
Its like having shocks on a car. You don't NEED them but it makes the ride a lot smoother.

battletoadguru

Reaction score
My experience with shock absorbers is that they make the ride smoother, but some of the force of peddling is transferred into the springs. So you won't go as far with the same force. If you are taking your time it really doesn't matter much, but it can make a big difference on intense or speedy rides.

r3353

Reaction score
Sounds like you had a salesman who thought he was looking at a mark. Most people are riding to much pressure in their tires anyway. Unless your Armstronging it, there's no reason to have rocks on the rims.

The rear shock should be stiff enough that pedaling alone(or with force)does not dampen it. It is meant to absorb bumps, not give you a bouncy ride like at a carnival. For the front shocks, a little give is good, but should never 'bottom out' by your own weight. Try putting more tension on it.

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
Depends on where you're riding. For riding on roads around here, I don't see any use for shocks. My last bike had them though, and they were REALLY nice for back on the logging roads. I could cruise down hills at almost twice the speed of my rigid frame without losing braking because the tires stayed onthe ground so much better. You can ride them pretty much like a dirt bike.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads