Sharpening Knife Swedges

ShittyMike

Reaction score
You know that part on the back of a knife that looks like itd be nice to have sharp but isnt? Well im trying to sharpen that with a carbide Speedy Sharp because it takes a bit more metal off then a stone but im wondering what other easily accessible things i could use to sharpen this

Attachments

• Knives.jpg
    Knives.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 470

Waya anisitsune

Reaction score
You know that part on the back of a knife that looks like itd be nice to have sharp but isnt? Well im trying to sharpen that with a carbide Speedy Sharp because it takes a bit more metal off then a stone but im wondering what other easily accessible things i could use to sharpen this
the tilt of the blade should never be sharp that is for your safety. It's like that to ensure you don't cut your hand if it slips while trying to stab something.

Reactions: MolotovMocktail
D

Deleted member 20

I have never heard the word Tilt but by sharpening the Swedge we are talking about the top dull part of the blade then we are talking about a Felony for carrying it. Most states its illegal to carry a double edge knife. I assume a bench grinder with differing grit would start to take the edge down by using finer & finer grit as with anything. I am sure the finish will get screwed up. I personally cant see ruining a legal knife. I think it may be a better hobby to try making knives out of railroad spikes & or file stock. I think you would end up learning all there is to know about metal work & be left with a cool skill after.

Waya anisitsune

Reaction score
oh the tip of the back of the knife, yes you can sharpen it as long as you don't sharpen it past 1/8th to 1/4 of the blade. and straight razors aren't made to be sharpened in that fashion. google Bowie survival knives for an idea of what i'm talking about and then mimic that. That way it's still legal but has that double edge and for the love of god taper it to a dullness.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads